Author Topic: Rega Planet 2000 bummer  (Read 3374 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Rega Planet 2000 bummer
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
Hey guys,

I had purchased a Rega planet 2000 CD player off audiogon about a year ago.  It has a warm signature, great timing, aesthetics, ext, BUT IT SKIPS...  It was originally only really happening when the volume was up (i.e vibration) and I tried to live with it, but I am into listening decently loud so I instantly felt limited by it.  I also thought it was being caused by either a crappy audio stand, or by a loose foot, which it DOES have, but the manor in which it's skipping is beyond where I would consider it to be a foot issue.  Also the foot can only be tightened from inside the chassis and if i remember correctly tom took it apart and something was stripped inside disallowing us from tightening.  But like i said this is skipping beyond what i'd consider a foot issue.  Anyway, I believe it uses a KSS213B laser.  Do you think replacing or upgrading the laser (if possible) would correct my issue?  I am also trying to consider the cost factor, ya know, how much money I wanna put into a 14 year old CD player.  But as i said earlier, this thing sounds good, no denying that, and if I could fix it and keep it I would.  I cant live with skipping music though, it KILLS it for me, one glitch just throws me out of "the zone".  So what do you think, am I able to fix this thing, would it be worth it financially, and is upgrading/replacing the laser more than likely able to fix what is causing this?  Thanks guys any info would be appreciated.   Cheers

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Re: Rega Planet 2000 bummer
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »
FYI I have also read that the "puck" wobble on top could be causing the issue.  Mine does wobble slightly.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
It's really tough to make a decision on something like this without first getting it looked at and confirming what the issues are.  Then from there take into account the cost and sentimental value.  Right now it's a guess.  I would suggest paying for an asian hooker and having her deliver it to Tom.  That might help push things forward.  And i'm sure all that shitty music you play through it isn't helping either.   :laugh:

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »
Bummer. I have always wated to buy a Rega cd player, but have been put off by reliability issues.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
hahaha REV! Not the response I expected when I opened the thread, still viable though..  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »
I know the skipping feeling. My phone skips randomly when I play FLAC music, it's the most irritating thing ever, especially when playing my 'reference' songs to demo speakers in a hurry.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:07:31 PM »
I hate to have to agree with Rev,  but replacing the laser assembly in a CD player is better done by someone like Tom.  Assuming you have tried the usual (lubricating rails/worm drives, cleaning the lens carefully, etc.).,  the laser assembly may need replacing.  >:(

bearjew

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »
I know the skipping feeling. My phone skips randomly when I play FLAC music, it's the most irritating thing ever, especially when playing my 'reference' songs to demo speakers in a hurry.

I'm sure you already know, but I have to bust your balls about using your phone for "reference".   >:D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 06:40:43 PM »
Of course he already knows.   That's why he put "reference" in quotation marks.   One use of quotation marks is to indicate that a word is being used in an ironic manner.  :(|)