Author Topic: The importance of component matching  (Read 7628 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: The importance of component matching
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
IMHO you need to test other models.   I like my Hereseys better than I like these.   As I mentioned above, I am also considering the titanium domes to see if that makes them a little less "in your face" (an assessment I agree with, BTW).

Maybe I can let you check out the Hereseys when you bring back the Tangents.   It would give me an excuse to use the Tangents in my main listening area for a couple weeks.

Dicky

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »
8w's choruses sound very good as well, and I have yet to hear since he rebuilt the crossovers.  Don't write them off yet

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »
8W's Choruses sounded great before and absolutely divine after his crossover build.

333: I'm a mere neophyte compared to most on the board, but I think you might want to try either a Heritage model or a Quartet/Forte/Chorus, especially with lower power tubes before you write off all Klipsch speakers.  I agree, to some degree -esp. at high volume-, that Klipsch can be assertive and tiring, but they also have incredible presence, soundstage and ability to let individual voices/instruments shine like nothing else I've heard.... thus far, at least.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

SunnyDaze

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
Low powered tube amps generally have a very low electrical damping factor. Klipsch Heritage speakers generally a very high mechanical damping factor.

Put the two together, and magic happens.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 06:32:16 PM »
Dammit, I was hoping I could close the door on Klipsch, but you guys keep opening it back up.

Since there seems to be a pretty good knowledge of them here, where would the KG4's place in the lineup? My assumption is above the Tangent, but below Heresy's or Heritage's.

That pair up in Ligonier tickled my curiosity, but not for $200 if I have to turn around and resell them.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
Again, not the expert, but I kinda wanna say -depending on drivers, construction quality and the like, along with your other components- that KG4's might be a little less impressive that Heresys, and the Q/F/C line up, as the KGs are 2-way speakers.

preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

SunnyDaze

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »
Dammit, I was hoping I could close the door on Klipsch, but you guys keep opening it back up.

Since there seems to be a pretty good knowledge of them here, where would the KG4's place in the lineup? My assumption is above the Tangent, but below Heresy's or Heritage's.

That pair up in Ligonier tickled my curiosity, but not for $200 if I have to turn around and resell them.

Of course we're going to praise Klipsch and his speakers, that's what we own. Much the same that Carl will praise Polk and bearjew will suggest Carver. It's all a matter of taste, of finding a sound that you like and going from there.

As RT said, the KG 4 is a two way. I have never heard the Epic line of Klipsch speakers, but, in general, Klipsch 2 way speakers have strong bass and sound excellent above 3000 Hz, but there is a slight midrange deficiency (although it probably won't be noticeable until you compare them to a set of speakers from the Heritage line).

I'd offer $150. When they deny it, tell them $175. At that price, you'll be able to resell them if you are unhappy.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »
So scorpio has my Hereseys now.   It is good for him to get a proper audition.   It is also good for me to get the Tangents back and put them in the main system where I am familiar with the room and the associated gear.

I'm listening to "All Directions" by The Temptations now.   It is said that two way horn systems have to make a bit of compromise and these are no exception.   However, they don't make the compromise I expected.   I thought there would be a bit of a "hole" in the mids, but instead the horn reaches right down to the woofer.   The compromise comes at the top shimmer of the hi-hat that drives this track.   I just listened to it earlier in the day on the Hereseys, so the comparison is still fresh in my mind.   It's almost like listening to the Hereseys with just woofer and mid.   It kind of surprises me since the Tangents have a 1" driver, but this is what my ears are telling me.

Listening to a Porky cut Zepplin IV (ZOSO) and the mids are very pronounced.   Plant's vocal sounds great but Bonham's snare is really hot.   Not the snares themselves, but the skin.   At least on Black Dog, that's all I've heard so far.

8W, tell me exactly what you did to your Hereseys.   While I have them out of the system is a good time to order the caps etc and make a game plan for refurb when they come back but before they get placed back into the system.   Thanks.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 08:27:22 PM »
"Four Sticks" sounds amazing!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »
"Lucinda Williams" was definitely a little forward sounding, but "I Am Shelby Lynne" sounds great.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »

8W, tell me exactly what you did to your Hereseys.   While I have them out of the system is a good time to order the caps etc and make a game plan for refurb when they come back but before they get placed back into the system.   Thanks.

I recapped them with Dayton 2 uF 1% precision audio caps. I also used 1/4 foam weather strip adhesive to serve as a gasket for the rear baffle. the 1/4 inch stuff fits perfectly between the screw holes and the sides of the cabinet.

When I put the new woofers in, i'm most likely going to attempt to reinforce the cabinets via cross bracing and stiffening up the rear baffle.

Check and make sure the woofers, mids, and tweeters are all screwed down tight. One good drop or jolt can effect that.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 09:56:25 PM »
Thanks.   That's easy enough.   For some reason I thought you did something with the inductors as well.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »
Nah. Those were the other Klipsch XO's.  >:D

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 01:06:55 AM »
8WOF, did you use the "Armacell" Brand weather stripping sold at Lowe's and Home Depot?  This brand seems to be the brand of choice right now for the speaker DIY refurb and upgrade guys.
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 01:15:09 AM »
It was a few months ago, but, I believe it was Frost King.