Author Topic: Parasound HCA 1000A 'current overload' light on  (Read 4366 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Parasound HCA 1000A 'current overload' light on
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »

I have a Parasound amp that I had using with no issues.  Sunday, the current overload light for the right channel came on.   This also happened when I initially hooked it up about a month or two ago and I cannot remember what I did to remedy this. 

So far, I have disconnected the speaker wire; plugged power cord directly into wall outlet, swapped out the five fuses I see on the board.  The light hasn't gone out yet.

I have not played this very load for sustained periods.  I had it hooked up to Magnepan MMGS, which are rated 4 ohms.   

Any suggestions, keeping in mind I am novice with testing, etc.

Thanks in advance
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Parasound HCA 1000A 'current overload' light on
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »
If you power down the unit, does the light go out and if so, does it stay our when powered back on (until it comes back on again, I assume).

If the light goes out, try switching the speakers (left to right and reverse) and see if the other channel behaves the same way.  If the light doesn't change sides, try the same reverse with the pre.  If the light follows any changes, the problem is with the pre or speakers.  If it remains on the right channel, you have an amp problem. 

If  remember correctly, Maggies present a difficult load and that may have caused an amp failure (if the light doesn't change sides when reversing the in/out connections).
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »
When I had that amp that occurred once.  Tightening all the screws that hold the board to the chassis and specially the (I think) toridal transformer,  made it go away.  No idea what was going on but that seemed to fix it (probably a grounding issue). 

Anyway - something to try - can be so many things causing it..

Pepe

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:09:54 AM »
MacGeek:  Thanks.  I reversed the speakers and was still on right channel.  Disconnected everything and still lights up on right channel.   I would think that if it is not connected to anything and the 'current overload' still lights up, the issue is with the amplifier.   

Pepe:  Thanks.  Plan to try that tonight.  Saw mention online of center screw around set of four capacitors (?) that sit behind the transformer. Might even back off and re-tighten all board screws.  I will also keep better notes this time.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »
Just reviving this thread with an update.   I checked all screws and nothing was loose. 

I have been using the amplifier in the system with no (apparent) problems.  I turn the amp on and, after a few minutes, maybe warming up, the 'current overload' light fades and goes out.  This happens with or without music playing.   I am using it to drive Magnepan MMG speakers so think that if it was a real issue, the light would stay on if there was a problem pushing 4 ohm speakers.

Thoughts?

thanks in advance
Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 06:58:12 PM »
Check that one screw at the center between the four big caps. Loosen it half a rev,  then torque it back up.