Author Topic: Dynaco Fever  (Read 5747 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Dynaco Fever
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:49:16 AM »
Hey guys,

Been using tube music equipment for quite some time now, and am strongly considering going the tube route in my home audio system too.  I need so much stuff for my current system its insane... but iv got DYNACO FEVER!  There is a Dynaco ST-70 for sale that I am interested in, and am hoping to get any info I can about them. I listened to one the other day for a few hours and was really impressed, of course I understand it will sound different depending on speakers and other factors.  I plan to drive a pair of Klipsch forte II's and use a Carver C-1 as the Pre.   I tend to listen at higher volumes, but others have said in the past I would more than likely feel no limitations with it, would you say that is pretty accurate?  35 watts into klipsch forte IIs?  Its hard for me to gauge the power difference between 30 tube watts and 30 SS watts because 30 SS watts seems a bit to light to me.  I wouldn't want to buy too small of an amp and be driving it hard constantly.

Have you had one or listened to one extensively?
How would you describe the sound signature?
What kind of equip does it like to be paired with?
How much is too much to pay for it?
How long do tubes typically last in home audio stuff?
Do they tend to be reliable or unreliable?
What are it's strengths?
what are its drawbacks?

Any experience or knowledge of the Dynacos would be appreciated

bmwr75

Re: Dynaco Fever
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
The reliability issue is totally dependent on whether the amp has been restored or not.  I have one that has been totally restored and it has never given me a minutes trouble.

The only comment I can make on sound signature (it was driving Klipsch KLF-20s) was the bass sounded flabby to me until new issue Genalex KT-77s were installed as the power tubes. 

Mine has an after market driver board too, so that probably invalidates any sound signature observations I made.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »

1: Its hard for me to gauge the power difference between 30 tube watts and 30 SS watts because 30 SS watts seems a bit to light to me.

2: I wouldn't want to buy too small of an amp and be driving it hard constantly.

3: Have you had one or listened to one extensively?

4: How would you describe the sound signature?

5: What kind of equip does it like to be paired with?

6: How much is too much to pay for it?

7: How long do tubes typically last in home audio stuff?

8: Do they tend to be reliable or unreliable?

9: What are it's strengths?

10: What are its drawbacks?

1: 1 watt is 1 watt is 1 watt. There's no asterisk next to the forumlae for calculating power that requires a parameter declaring whether or not you are calculating a solid state watt or a tube watt. The real difference here is clipping. Clip a SS amp with compression drivers and you are asking for a Klipsch repair bill. Clip that Dynaco and, well, nothing happens.

2: Given that the power supply caps, rectifier, and transformers are behaving properly and the bias is reasonably close to spec, driving it too hard won't be an issue. My Heresy I's are 96 dB efficient and are 8 ohm nominal. I drive them with a 6V6 amplifier that is rated at 8 watts of power while driving an 4 ohm load. With an 8 ohm load such as the Heresys, that amplifier makes about 4 watts. I never have the volume up above the 1:00 point as it gets painfully loud.

3: Fairly so. The old old shop had one up and running with KT88's for quite a while when I hung out there regularly. Ian (vstarkwell) also has a very nice ST70 in his collection.

4: Assuming the topology of the original circuitry has not been modified, it'll vary based on your tube complement, tube condition, and the condition of the resistors and capacitors in various circuits.

5: Loudspeakers that have both high efficiency and drivers that possess a high electromechanical damping factor are always a plus for any tube amp that makes low to moderate power.

6: It depends how badly you want the amp.

7: Assuming that the amplifier is operating properly, quality manufactured tubes will last an awful long time. My Magnavox 8800 has original power tubes from 1960. I know nothing about how often the unit was used before I acquired it. All tubes tested very strong. I've run the amp at least 1-2 hours a day for the past year or so and everything is just fine.

8: As bmwr75 said, if the components on the amplifier are all operating properly and routine maintenance is not ignored, they are extremely reliable.

9: You'll fall in love with your music collection all over again.

10: You'll have a bit of parting anxiety when you sell your solid state amp.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:58:10 PM by 8 Watts of Fury »

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:20:08 PM »
BMWR75, thanks for the response.  Sounds like you have an awesome amp on your hands!  Glad you mentioned your experience with changing tubes and how it effected the sound.  Tight bass is important to me because of the style of music I am into.  Also heard some people online complaining about lack of bass, ext.  Could also be due to the age of the equip and 1000 other factors..

8 watts, ur insane!  thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed response.  I am really interested in hearing your Klipsch setup, I always see you posting about it and it seems to be a beefed up version of what i'm going for right now. 

Any other low/medium tube power amps under 500 I am over looking?  I guess I am into the dynaco because its so classic, and I heard one last week for a few hours and was really really impressed.  This one was paired with the PAS3 preamp, it was a great sounding little setup, paired with some small bookshelf speakers that were detailed as hell.

I am hopefully going to go look at it tomorrow, strangely the pic he has is different than most i'v seen.  No tube sockets on the front?

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »
I also have a Dynaco PAS2 preamp and it sounded bad to my ears until I by-passed the tone controls.  Before that the selenium rectifier was replaced and it was completely recapped.  There are a lot better preamps out there than a Dynaco PAS2 IMHO.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »

Clip that Dynaco and, well, nothing happens.

Assuming that the amplifier is operating properly, quality manufactured tubes will last an awful long time. My Magnavox 8800 has original power tubes from 1960. I know nothing about how often the unit was used before I acquired it. All tubes tested very strong. I've run the amp at least 1-2 hours a day for the past year or so and everything is just fine.

Nothing bad will happen anyway.   Many people will argue that tube amps sound best when subtly pushed to clipping.

My Leak Stereo 20 has all original tubes from (best estimate) 1964.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »
Any other low/medium tube power amps under 500 I am over looking? 

This one was paired with the PAS3 preamp, it was a great sounding little setup, paired with some small bookshelf speakers that were detailed as hell.

I am hopefully going to go look at it tomorrow, strangely the pic he has is different than most i'v seen.  No tube sockets on the front?

Depending on your levels of skill and ambition, you can find a console pull amp on ePay or CL relatively cheaply and modify it for stand alone use. Both of my Magnavox amps are console pulls. I've got under $200 into the pair (not including a matched quad of NOS Siemens EL84s).

As bmwr75 said, Dynaco tone controls are notoriously bad. I have a Dynaco PAT-4 and it has the same issue (among others). There's a popular mod out there that covers building a regulated power supply for the Dynaco preamps as well.

Unless someone modified the Dynaco amp, those are not tube sockets. Those are proprietary control connections.

bmwr75

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
The tube sockets on the front of an original ST-70 are used for power tube bias measurement.   Never did anything else with them.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »
The tube sockets on the front of an original ST-70 are used for power tube bias measurement.   Never did anything else with them.

I knew they involved controlling the bias. I didn't know they were actual tube sockets. Whoops!

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
I had the st70 many years ago.  I bought it 2nd hand. Had a Curcio Audio driver board to replace the original driver board.
You may wanna check it out.  http://www.curcioaudio.com/dynadr_3.htm.  Not totally sure but 7199's may be harder to come by now a days.
I really enjoyed that amp.  It was musical driving the original meadowlark kestrals I had back then.  As Scott said it may not have the ultimate woofer control but its not flabby, one note bass by any means.  I would by a clean one again with no reservations.  Its solid tube fun at an affordable price.  There are many mods out there. Some swear by the cloth lead transformers vs the plastic covered leads etc but don't get too hung up on that.  Again...I would by another one.  But. If you are looking for ultimate bass control this my not be it.

Offline ataudio

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »
Bad link. Curcioaudio.com. left side has links for mods etc

Offline AdamG

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 11:26:34 PM »
I got my mitts on a Dynaco PAS-4 Preamp, I love the thing. All the tubey pre-amp goodness I needed in my life. It has no tone controls on it at all, guess they figured best to get rid of it then have a weak link. There is an external loop for a processor on the unit which is selectable.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »
7: Assuming that the amplifier is operating properly, quality manufactured tubes will last an awful long time. My Magnavox 8800 has original power tubes from 1960.
I've pondered this a time or 2...do power tubes degenerate at an excelerated rate compared to say the tubes in a pre amp? I've still got original tubes in a 490t cd player and it sounds OK to me?
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:37 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice.

The Dynaco I was interested in sold this morning, I was supposed to go look at it tonight after work... Pretty bummed.  I am going to keep researching and try to get more educated on the Dynacos.  If you see one for sale please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Offline ataudio

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »
Too bad. But if you run into a Jolida 302 they are very nice amps for the money.  No rebuild to worry about. They're still young and shouldn't need any recapping.   I've long sold mine so Im not that current on the newer Jolida amps.