Author Topic: Help me kill these LEDs  (Read 3895 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Help me kill these LEDs
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »

Not a picture of my actual amp, but same thing. The LEDs are a bit of a circus act in my opinion. I've been up one side of the internet and down the other on how to disable these things. I found two solutions. Nail polish. No, not going to do something like that that can't be undone. The second was electrical tape. Is it even ok to place something like tape over the socket? The LEDs are in the sockets which are clear. I'd grab a pic but it's a huge pain to pull the amp out and roll it over to get the glass cage off.

I'd like to do this as minimally invasive as possible, any thoughts? I love the sound it makes, so not looking for a different amp.

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Help me kill these LEDs
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
That designer is a jackass. Tubes make their own, much prettier glow.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
Scorpio:

That should be easy and it turns out you do not live far from me - we can do it when I get back from the West Coast the week of Dec 1st.  We can even add a switch to turn them on/off. 

;D

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:00:34 AM »
Scorpio:

That should be easy and it turns out you do not live far from me - we can do it when I get back from the West Coast the week of Dec 1st.  We can even add a switch to turn them on/off. 

;D

That would be great!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 10:35:28 PM »
Took almost three years to complete and I feel stupid. Turns out all I needed to do was pull them out of the tube sockets from underneath. There is still a bit of blue showing around the sockets looking up close, but 10' away you can't see it. 

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »
Now that they are out of the sockets, you might be able to cover the bulbs with tape, or wrap them with any light blocking material to get rid of the last bit of blue
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 06:12:25 AM »
3 years....WOW!!! How long did it take to pull them out? 3 minutes???  :laugh:
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:48:43 PM »
Figured it was going to be a surgical process and didn't want to wreck my new amp, so I put some electrical tape over the center of the sockets. That cut the light about 50%. Had Jolida on the phone yesterday for a separate issue and he told me what to do. Likely going to get back in there and put some dark nail polish on them. Jolida guy they did it to attract 25 yr olds that need things to be flashy.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Figured it was going to be a surgical process and didn't want to wreck my new amp, so I put some electrical tape over the center of the sockets. That cut the light about 50%. Had Jolida on the phone yesterday for a separate issue and he told me what to do. Likely going to get back in there and put some dark nail polish on them. Jolida guy they did it to attract 25 yr olds that need things to be flashy.

Good; that is decent customer service (compared to what I have seen with other brands). 

Regards

Pepe

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
 BRAVO!!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!