Author Topic: amp suggestions  (Read 7677 times)

bearjew

amp suggestions
« on: December 09, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
Ok, so I had this huge DIY project in mind for building amps, but as funds don't seem to be heading in that direction, I am re-evaluating the situation.  I am considering a different route.  I currently have a Sunfire TGA-7200 that I scored on eBay.  My speakers require 6 channels, so basically I either use an amp like that, or buy 3 stereo amps.  I have a few options, such as buying 3 Emotiva XPA-200's.  One of the things that makes this appeal to me (other than the warranty, and it would look cool, etc.) is that generally a stereo amp performs better than an amp with 7 channels in it.  Also, the Emotivas have less THD.  Another angle I'm looking into are pro-audio reference amps.  I plan on using this setup for working on movies and music, so flat response is ideal.  Ironically, I know the ins and outs of digital audio, but pro reference amps aren't my wheelhouse, so anyone with knowledge of that, feel free to chime in (unless your solution for that is Behringer).  Obviously, I'm searching for what everyone else is searching for: clean sound.  I'm going to need at least 150w/4ohms per channel in order to get a good volume comfortably.  This is based on the fact that the subwoofer of the speakers is a 6.5" JL 6w3v3-4.

So, to shorten things...
6 channels = one 6-7 channel amp (since 7 is more common), 3 stereo amps, or 6 monoblocks... something tells me monoblocks are out of the question.
150 watts at 4 ohms
rackmountable is definitely a plus
used for pro work; so i guess reference amps maybe?

as for reference amps, it seems like Crown and QSC are the bees knees out there; i'd like to see something other than those (besides behringer, which might be the lowest quality amplifier i have ever heard, and samson, who might be a close second to behringer).

thanks in advance guys; i realize this is a pretty broad question, but it should make for an interesting thread to see what you guys like

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: amp suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »
BJ-I don't know what the cost of the amps you mentioned is, new or used.  What is your budget?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »
Carl

Dicky

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
I'm partial to the emotivas obviously

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »
I'm guessing you're toying with an active 3-way system?

Here's an option you can fiddle with: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ma1260-multi-zone-12-channel-amplifier-60wpc--300-8150

Offline ataudio

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »
If you're thinking of pro audio stuff I highly recommend the Crown XLS 1500, 2000, or 2500. You can google them for HT use. Work great and zero fan noise.   Fans spin so slow they are dead quiet.  Do not get the xls 1000....its has more floor noise.

Sound great (provided they gel with the rest of your setup). 2u rack space. Rca inputs too.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
Pass designed Class A amps to Emo and Crown. You can't get much further apart, IMO.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline ataudio

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »
Pass designed Class A amps to Emo and Crown. You can't get much further apart, IMO.

Sure...but he did ask about pro amps.  And the Crowns have a following as HT amps. I've used them very successfully.

Offline ataudio

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
I think that Perreaux may be Nicks amp.  He had one for sale a while back. 

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
BJ, you need to play the lottery.

Offline ataudio

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »
BJ, you need to play the lottery.

Or just get rid of the other things sucking up stereo funds....wife, bad kids.... >:D

Of course I'm just kidding...well....maybe ???

bearjew

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
The pass design amps are on hold for now since the chassis sent them out of my price range.  Right now I'm trying to keep within the price range of selling the tga-7200 if I even decide to sell it. I'm more or less weighing my options.

Adamg, I'm not actually toying with anything, I'm going to have my speakers relatively soon, and they're triampable. That Dayton has twice as many channels as I need haha

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:13:59 PM »
The Perreaux is mine, PM me.  Nick
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline AdamG

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »
Well I'll second the Crown XLS on that note then, they've got rave reviews in the audio-phoolery community. They're workhorses.