Author Topic: amp suggestions  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: amp suggestions
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 07:27:10 AM »
What's wrong with the Sunfire? Martin runs one in his set up and it sounds great! I know a lot of guys running those amps in stereo mode including me currently.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 07:30:41 AM »
I still swear by My Crown PS-400. Cools by convection (no fans) Reliable as gravity, and sound very neutral.
These workhorses powered many a theater, back in the 90's and into this millennium. They also look great racked up.

Can be had used for about 250.

You are more than welcome to an audition. I have an extra you can borrow for a weekend if you would like to try it out. or just bring a set of bookshelves and we can wire it up right here.

Cheers,
Andrew
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »
A really good friend of mine ran two modded version of this amplifier. It sounded incredible. One should do fine for your needs. Unfortunately he passed away and I don't know what mods he did. It was a royal pain to mod though, as a warning. Good luck!
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 08:01:54 AM »
@Kingman ->  and me,  I have compared the Sunfire 400x5  in biamping mode through the JBL M552 xover  to multiple high end amps and, at least in my setup,  the Sunfire sounds as good. The only downside is that the elitist will accuse you of using home theater equipment in your systems ("you are putting chevy parts on a ferrari" and similar comments). Fortunately,  all I care is how good the sound that the ribbons repreduce is,  and to me it is good.

The Pass amps that courageous BJ is seeking to build look interesting and could be a home run,  but my fear is building one (or worse 3!) and discovering they sound marginal or have a crazy untraceable hum that no one can tell where it is coming from etc. They could also be tough to sell if BJ is not happy with the result,  so I have been harassing him to reconsider. 

OBG

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
You should get two emotiva XPA-3 amps! 3 x 330 into 4 ohms and then you can have one sexy amp sitting next to each sexy speaker.
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

bearjew

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
You should get two emotiva XPA-3 amps! 3 x 330 into 4 ohms and then you can have one sexy amp sitting next to each sexy speaker.

it's actually 300 dollars cheaper for me to buy 3 xpa-200's.  the xpa-3 is a little overpowering for my needs also.

A really good friend of mine ran two modded version of this amplifier. It sounded incredible. One should do fine for your needs. Unfortunately he passed away and I don't know what mods he did. It was a royal pain to mod though, as a warning. Good luck!

what amp?

in the end, i think i'm going to leave the pro amps alone, at least for now; they might be a good secondary setup down the road.  i think it's really coming down to sunfire vs. emotiva.  it seems like a lot of people are prefering the emotivas these days.  i got a buddy running xpa-1's, so i'm going to take a sunfire amp up to his place this weekend and check out both and see how i feel after.  we shall see.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »
I have recommended the Emotivas to people at work just starting in this addiction, and they all seem happy with the results.  They have beefy power supplies and seem well made. 

My Sunfire (aka Kitty) is doing great so not changing it for now.

OBG

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »
Oops, a cinepro.
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 06:29:06 PM »
If you wait a bit Pepe will probably be selling off something.

Anders

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »
Does the Absolute Sound or Stereophile recommend anything affordable these days ?
The best sounding amps I own are low power.
My Electrocompaniet amp is warmer and sweeter than most tube amps and very musical but its only 40 watts and gets hot as a stove.

bearjew

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 06:27:15 AM »
Does the Absolute Sound or Stereophile recommend anything affordable these days ?
The best sounding amps I own are low power.
My Electrocompaniet amp is warmer and sweeter than most tube amps and very musical but its only 40 watts and gets hot as a stove.

I need at very minimum 50 watts at 8 ohms, and I'd need 3 amps, so yeah...

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »
the xpa-3 is a little overpowering for my needs also.

BJ you must be f**king crazy, you never have enough power ;)

Hope you are doing well, how's the misses?

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 08:44:58 PM »
What's wrong with the Sunfire? Martin runs one in his set up and it sounds great! I know a lot of guys running those amps in stereo mode including me currently.

I would imagine your speakers will be 4ohm right?  I doubt you'll need more than 400watts a channel.  I agree that you should keep the Sunfire, see how it sounds with those new ugly ass speakers.   :laugh:

bearjew

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 07:18:55 AM »
the xpa-3 is a little overpowering for my needs also.

BJ you must be f**king crazy, you never have enough power ;)

Hope you are doing well, how's the misses?

Brian

haha i always thought that too until now.

we are doing well; she's still adjusting to the mass amount of money i keep trying to sink into my stereo haha.  really trying to wrap things up though; at least for now.  i would like to find one solid, completed setup to enjoy.  it's difficult though...especially when i don't have my speakers haha

I would imagine your speakers will be 4ohm right?  I doubt you'll need more than 400watts a channel.  I agree that you should keep the Sunfire, see how it sounds with those new ugly ass speakers.   :laugh:

yeah; i'm starting to think maybe i'll hold onto it for now.  i'm sure i'll like it more than having an ugly ass irish friend.

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 07:25:36 AM »
Have you looked up the Cinepro yet? I think I recommend the 3k6
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)