Author Topic: Balanced vs. Unbalanced  (Read 3392 times)

bearjew

Balanced vs. Unbalanced
« on: February 01, 2015, 07:21:44 AM »
I don't think this is a controversial subject...  8)

I understand the difference, I get how it works, and I suppose it's one of those things that if your system can take advantage of it, why not?  My pre out is balanced (XLR), and the amps I'm looking at purchasing have balanced inputs as well.  So naturally I'll be using that because although my amp has RCA inputs as well, my pre only has XLR out.

Will I hear a sonic difference though?  I know that balanced cables allow you to run distances greater than 18 feet because they keep noise levels down, but are there any other advantages (other than the superior interconnects that lock comfortably in place)?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Balanced vs. Unbalanced
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:27:01 AM »
I run balanced on my Sunfire Tube pre to the 600x2. I believe that the advantage(or not) is an increase in gain which could be perceived as a difference in sound. I don't see a downside to running XLR's if you can.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:45:12 AM »
My understanding is that it's about noise, due to better shielding.  I have been told, it's inaudible for short cable runs (say 6 to 10' or less).  I run balanced between my pre, EQ and amps because I can.  However, I can't hear any difference compared to unbalanced.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

bearjew

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
Yeah that's pretty much what I thought.  It seems like if you have a choice between the two, you should just use balanced, but there's really no solid reason not to unless you're going long distances.  I just realized last night that it looks like a good chunk of my setup is going to be balanced, and I wasn't sure if there were any other advantages other than noise reduction over distances.

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »
In theory, balanced should deliver better channel separation for stereo signals.
This would translate to better imaging, soundstage & a bunch of other subtle stuff that ends producing a more realistic reproduction.

Some components that claim balanced topology are in fact not truly balanced from input to output & these advantages would not be realized.
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
I have a "fully differential"  XLR path between my CD player (Oppo 105) and the Sunfire amp.  I hear no difference between it and the unbalanced connection, except maybe the slightest hint of noise with my ear to the speaker and the vol knob at 50% w unbalanced.  And you also have to factor cable quality - cheap XLRs will muck up the sound whereas decent RCAs will not.  So assuming you get XLR cables that sound the way you like I guess there is nothing to lose by going XLR.  A subjective decision IMO.   

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »
I think most have captured the comments that I would have made.  Theoretically, it is better.  You will hear the difference on long cable runs.  Balanced are a must when using microphones.

Also, if you are going to run balanced connections, you really need to have balanced connectors from all your sources to preamp, preamp to amp etc.
Carl

Anders

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »
Balanced is better but only if its truly balanced.
I've seen high end preamps where one half of the balanced circuit is all high quality but the other half is just a cheap op amp.
In cases like that you are better off unbalanced.
And the only real difference I've heard between balanced and unbalanced is noise but noise does affect sound quality.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 11:44:26 PM »
Balanced is better but only if its truly balanced.
I've seen high end preamps where one half of the balanced circuit is all high quality but the other half is just a cheap op amp.

I'm glad Anders said it.   This is my understanding as well.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 02:27:26 AM »
FWIW, Bob Carver says he prefers RCA's. Antony Michaelson of Musical Fidelity prefers them too and only recently included XLR's on his higher end pieces because customers asked for it. Then we have BAT who doesn't offer RCA's because their gear is fully balanced from input to output. Pick your poison.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Rockman Rock

• Double Secret Probation!
  • How about a taxi grab.....
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:25:42 AM »
I am currently all balanced from DAC to amp. Prior I had 20 foot long RCA's to my amp. They were shielded coax with stranded center conductor and were not noisy, at all.
Salk SoundScape 8's / Audio Research Reference 3 / Bottlehead Eros Phono / Krell KSA-250 / diy Lenco w/AA MG-1 arm / diy Dual Mono Buffalo III DAC / Denon 3910 I2S/DSD out mod / SB Touch 12S out mod / diy Cinemag SUT