Author Topic: It's never easy  (Read 3023 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
It's never easy
« on: February 06, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »

I moved a pair of KLH 6's into the listening room to go with the Vandersteen 2Cs.  I planned to hook them up to the Rotel 855 that I am currently using, and to switch off (A/B) every now and then for a little variety.  Lo and behold, the Rotel does not allow you to switch speakers (no A/B switches).  It only has a remote switch, which engages or disengages the 'remote' speakers. 

So I figure... swap out the Rotel with an old Technics SA-300 that I just cleaned up and replaced lights.  (And add a little illumination to the experience, with the new lights).  Of course, now that means I will have to remove the banana plugs from the wiring currently going into the Rotel and then hope the thick cable I am using to bi-wire the Vandersteens fit into the old-school speaker inputs on the Techincs, which has those funky insert-wire-then-twist-big-plastic-knob. connection.   

Its always something...

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: It's never easy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
You can always try out one of those outboard multi-speaker switch deals.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 12:24:21 PM »
I've got a well built vintage Nu-Tone speaker / amp selector switch that you can use for 2 amps and 4 sets of speakers. If you'd like to borrow it, you can (assuming Rural Tom is done with it).

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
Ain't that the truth!  Every new component or 'solution' to a problem seems to engender a new one, I can never quite get ahead of the curve, Whether it's the old wiring in my house, strange speaker/amp terminals, noise from certain combinations.  Speaker terminals drive me especially nuts, I'd love it if there had only ever been one style...
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

bearjew

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »
i finally re-arranged my entire setup yesterday.  i unplugged everything and removed it from the wall, then put it all back together in a neat organized manner.  now my interface won't work with my computer.  i've tried EVERYTHING.  the computer sees the interface, but it won't put out audio.  i was going to RMA it for 100 bucks, but i tried it out on my laptop first, and it works perfectly.  apparently my motherboard in my computer is not playing nicely with anything that requires a higher data transfer than a mouse or keyboard...  i've never seen this problem before, but it looks like i now have to add "new motherboard and CPU" to my list of shit to buy :'(

Offline AdamG

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »
I've got a whole new PC on my list of things that need fixed. My power supply is totally shot, my +5v line is putting out +6.8v, and my -12v line is -5.8v, it's jacked. I'm amazed it's even running still being that far off. I get serious buzz through any connection to the PC other than the optical output. I don't want to replace just the power supply in an 8 year old computer though, so I'm saving up for a new HTPC build. It should be fun!  :-\

bearjew

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »
I've got a whole new PC on my list of things that need fixed. My power supply is totally shot, my +5v line is putting out +6.8v, and my -12v line is -5.8v, it's jacked. I'm amazed it's even running still being that far off. I get serious buzz through any connection to the PC other than the optical output. I don't want to replace just the power supply in an 8 year old computer though, so I'm saving up for a new HTPC build. It should be fun!  :-\

just buy a new PSU right now, then transfer it to your new machine.  Those thermaltake TR2's are awesome for being so cheap

Offline AdamG

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 02:22:43 PM »
just buy a new PSU right now, then transfer it to your new machine.

Ya' know.... I didn't even think about that. Well played.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 07:27:55 AM »
Back to the original thread, for the time being,  I can just pull the two positive banana plugs that come from the Vandersteens and play the KLH6s.  They sound pretty clean for a small-ish floor speaker.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers