Author Topic: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Mod ~ F1 Signature Version  (Read 15032 times)

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Mod ~ F1 Signature Version
« on: February 18, 2015, 11:22:19 PM »
Kingman asked me for this the other day via email and now ataudio on the forum, so here is my take on the Dennis Murphy engineered mod turned up a notch or two.

Parts List from Parts Express:

(2) Vifa tweeters #264-1040
(2) Jantzen 0.50mH inductors #255-036
(2) Jantzen 1.5mH inductors #255-260
(1) Sonic Barrier 1/2" thick #260-520
(1) #6 x 3/4" screws #081-435

Instead of using the stock low pass 1.0mH inductor and adding a 0.50mH 20 AWG to it, I replaced it with the Jantzen 1.5mH 18 AWG with a DCR of 0.67 ohm.

Optional: I replaced the stock binding posts with #260-309. You will need to remove the binding posts from that part and install them on the stock binding post plate because you need the 4 plastic posts to support the new board. The reason I did this is because the connectors on the back of the stock posts are not gold plated and already looked like they had oxidation.

Optional #2: I upgraded the stock 20 ga. chassis wire from the board to the drivers with 16 ga. If you do this you will need to get new female disconnects from PE.
(1) .205" #095-282 
(1) .110" #095-286

Parts List from Sonic Craft:

(2) Sonicap Gen I 3.9uF 200V (they only have 4uF, which will be fine)
(4) Sonicap Gen I 2.2uF 200V
(2) Sonicap Gen I 10uF 200V
(2) Mills .33 ohm/12 watt resistor
(2) Mills 6.8 ohm/12 watt resistor

Instead of using the existing 2.2uF in the high pass I replaced it with the Sonicap Gen I. Also, instead of using the stock 10uF in the low pass I replaced it with the Sonicap Gen I. Again, instead of using the stock resistors they were replaced with Mills 12 watt.

The new Vifa tweeter requires you to enlarge the notch at the bottom of the tweeter mounting flange and make a new notch at the top to accommodate the terminals.

I get my black FR4 from www.AmericanEpoxy.com and use the .094" thickness. They have a $25.00 minimum, so if you order a 12" x 24" sheet that will meet the minimum. The shipping cost will run $18 to $20 I guess. You will need to cut 2 sheets, size 2 7/8" x 5 1/2", so plenty of leftover. Cutting this stuff is best done with a wet tile cutter to keep the dust down, but a table saw or band saw will work too. Do NOT breath the dust.

Here's the thread on AK where a guy talks about cutting the Sonic Barrier to size and has the new schematic posted. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=610820

A few other things you will need, 3M VHB tape to help secure the parts to the board and plastic zip ties to further secure them. You will note in my photos a screw at the top of the board when installed. I wasn't happy with the board unsupported up there, you may feel differently. I used nylon spacers and a 2 1/2" long round head wood screw shimmed up on the top side of the board making the screw length 2 1/4" otherwise it will go through the back of the cabinet. You'll probably find it easier to install all of this by using a sharp chisel to shave off an 1/8" from the bottom edge of the binding post opening.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Mod ~ F1 Signature Version
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:26:06 PM »
Having problems getting pics to post, looks like I can only do one at a time.

Pic 1 - stock

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:29:43 PM »
Pic 2 - stock

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:33:24 PM »
Pic 3 - new top view

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:40:32 PM »
Pic 4 - new side view

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:55:24 PM »
Pic 5 - new bottom view

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 11:59:43 PM »
Pic 6 - new P2P

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 12:03:56 AM »
Pic 7 - new installed

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 12:10:54 AM »
Pic 8 - new installed close up

bmwr75

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
F1,

I have the BS21 (previous version of the BS22).  Do you know if the woofer is the same in both versions?  If no, might the difference be small enough that this new crossover work for the BS21 woofer too?

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 12:16:56 PM »
I don't know if they are. However, if you pull the crossover you will be able to compare the values to the BS22 and if they are are the same then this mod will work for your speakers.

bmwr75

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
I don't know if they are. However, if you pull the crossover you will be able to compare the values to the BS22 and if they are are the same then this mod will work for your speakers.

Thanks Jesse.  They are in a box somewhere in storage.  Will take a look when I find them.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
Thank you very much Jesse.  That is superb construction.  Don't want to over stay my welcome but if you comment on the sound that would be great.  Typically small speakers sound...well..."small".  Not that I expect 20hz from a 4 inch woofer but I am curious as to your comments.  I have some Best Buy gift cards that wont buy me any worthwhile photo gear there but will but help offset the cost enough to justify the mods.  Thanks again for you time. 

(Shhhh. Sonicap. Gen 1.  (Insert thumbs up here))

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 03:18:25 PM »
exc craftsmanship - the component labels are aligned just right.  looks great.  sound?

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 03:55:33 PM »
The sound.....for the $350.00 I've got into them the sound is quite good. Much better than one would expect from a budget speaker. In stock form they were a bit boomy and edgy. After the mod I could tell right away that the highs were smoother, more refined. The bass was a bit better, but still not as tight as I would like. So, I now have about 180 hours on them and the bass has tightened up nicely and has punch, it's actually impressive for such a small driver. The high's/mid range have continued to improve with nice detail. The sound stage is good, extending beyond the speakers. They are an easy speaker to listen to, musical. Overall, well worth the effort.