Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6150 times)

Offline mikec4849

• FNG !!!
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and thanks again sir thrift for all the help.  The advents sound pretty good I need to clean up the cabinets next but for now I'm just enjoying them.

I'm very much a beginner but my gear right now is a Pioneer P-512 with a Grado Prestige Green 1 cart, a Kenwood KR-3010 receiver, and a pair of Genesis Physics 1 as well as the Advents now.  Tom hooked me up with the Grado and was kind enough to install it for me properly.  I also have a Marantz 2230 that is in need of repair. I don't think anything major I'm just too afraid to ruin it trying to clean it up myself. I've been meaning to check out the new shop and drop it off but I think Tom's pretty busy currently so I've been waiting.

Thanks again!
Mike

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 04:09:36 PM »
Don't be afraid of the clean up.   Here are some before and after pics of the 2230 that I picked up off the side of the road.   I have done NOTHING electronic to it, just clean up.   It has been my daily driver for almost ten years and hasn't skipped a beat.

I hope these lend some inspiration.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Those are some great before/after shots, STaL, great job!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline mikec4849

• FNG !!!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
Wow that looks great nice work.  Any recommendations on what to use to clean it? I've read Deoxit will help with the scratchy knobs.  It also seems to make my speakers pop slightly when I turn it on so that's why I figure I'd just have it serviced.  I needs a few bulbs but I figure even a novice like myself could handle that.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
Sorry I missed this.   Yes, DeOxit for the pots.   The thump when powering on the speakers is a standard quirk (I'm told, I'm nobody's tech) for the 2230 because it is not cap coupled and doesn't have a bleeder cap.