Author Topic: looking for decent table and phono pre  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
looking for decent table and phono pre
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:03:54 AM »
ran into a couple that is looking for a decent turntable and a phono pre.... They're not audiophiles but would like something better than the USB tables lol   Send me a PM if you have something that'll work.... They mentioned liking Technics SL series.... 1200? 1600?   they will need a phono pre to make it work in their system also....   their budget is less than $500 and would probably prefer around $300 - $350
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

bearjew

Re: looking for decent table and phono pre
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »
A guy is coming to supposedly buy my ReVox today.  If he doesn't, I'll let you know.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:46:42 PM »
ran into a couple that is looking for a decent turntable and a phono pre.... They're not audiophiles but would like something better than the USB tables lol   Send me a PM if you have something that'll work.... They mentioned liking Technics SL series.... 1200? 1600?   they will need a phono pre to make it work in their system also....   their budget is less than $500 and would probably prefer around $300 - $350

Will keep eyes open for anything that meets criteria.  I have a very inexpensive phono preamp that could suit his use case fine, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PP444-Compact-Turntable-Preamp/dp/B004HJ1TTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431794496&sr=8-1&keywords=phono+preamp

I can tell you that this one sounds better than low-end audiophile phono preamps like the Vincent Audio PHO 8, but not as good as the Emotiva XPS-1,  a good compromise. 

Have a great weekend,

OBG

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »
A guy is coming to supposedly buy my ReVox today.  If he doesn't, I'll let you know.

Make sure the seller disclosure includes any known hum issues.

>:D

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
I'm going to have a nice table or two at the swap meet next Saturday.   No pre, but that is easily handled on line (I really like the ART for $50 to keep most of the budget on the table).

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »
they need an appliance type table.. plug and play.... can have no issues known or otherwise. I'll check out the phono pre   thanks. 

can't do the swap meet for this. It's just a " let them decide" and pass through deal.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 08:48:41 PM »
The table I am bringing is a plug and play Yamaha P-350 with a new belt.   I'm also bringing one of those Garrards with the weird looking dual blade arm, but I don't think that one is for them.