Author Topic: sunfire sig loose transformer  (Read 6704 times)

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: sunfire sig loose transformer
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 02:30:33 PM »
Shit, you could drive it to me (morgantown wv) and we'd get it secured just fine.
Can you post a picture or a link to a picture of the transformer where it connects? Give us a better idea of what we're dealing with. That seems excessive to drive all the way out there for some rubber bits.

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
Talked to bob carvers tech for sunfire. The L brackets and grommits are no longer available. (((((

Driving the amp to rockford illinois to sounds classic. Hopefully they can secure the transformer.

Jeanine

Sorry to here about your problems, hope you get it sorted out real soon. A moving transformer is not that good in an amp.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »
Yep - just look at Bruce Jenner.

Bad things happen when a tranny is on the loose.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:01:17 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 07:19:11 AM »
Also. The binding posts....... The hole for speaker wire wont fit any thicker wire.
Is this normal? The hole is small(:) were these switched out? Or are these stock posts.
Wont fit my 8 or 10 ga speaker wire. Should i use the plugs instead to connect the 10ga wire? Banana plugs?

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
Best bet is soldered banana plugs.  Unless you're running 250' lengths of wire 8-10 AWG is pretty much overkill. You could also use 1/4" spade lugs.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 03:21:20 PM »
Best bet is soldered banana plugs.  Unless you're running 250' lengths of wire 8-10 AWG is pretty much overkill. You could also use 1/4" spade lugs.

+ on spade plugs

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 05:49:26 PM »
+ 1 on bananas.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »
+ 1000 on soldered banana plugs.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
It is a silly debate IMO.  Neither makes any difference in sound quality.  I like the spades because the mechanical connection is strong,  the banana plugs can fall off with movement with heavy gauge cables.

+ 100000  do whatever suits you best   8)

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
I'm sure it makes a difference on which banana plugs or spades one uses. I've never had an issue with the bananas I use falling off. In fact, it takes good effort to insert or remove them. The spades however always loosen in time.

I don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but I calculated that the bananas actually have more contact area than spades.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:37 PM »

I don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but I calculated that the bananas actually have more contact area than spades.

I believe that is true, but I'm not at all sure that it makes a practical difference.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
Jesse -

You probably use much much better quality banana plus than I have experience with.   I have memories of Monster banana plugs  I used with Infinity RS-1 and their speaker-level crossover that left me thinking I would limit banana plug use for home theater only because they are so damn convenient. 

I admit to having started a calculation on surface contact area for banana plugs [2*pi*r*h] vs spades [you need to assume a size for the "ring of contact" and calculate the area and multiply by 2, a larger ring would improve things, but the area would be 2*Pi*(Rout-Rin)^2],  but soon got distracted by the music. All things considered,  if I found a banana plug that could be successfully soldered to 8 gage wire and that were strong enuf to stay put,  I suppose that would be the way to go.

:-)

Pepe

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 12:14:27 AM »
I have memories of Monster banana plugs

Yeah, those were/are pretty bad.

I admit to having started a calculation on surface contact area for banana plugs [2*pi*r*h] vs spades [you need to assume a size for the "ring of contact" and calculate the area and multiply by 2, a larger ring would improve things, but the area would be 2*Pi*(Rout-Rin)^2],  but soon got distracted by the music.   

LOL.....