Author Topic: volume problem  (Read 3425 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
volume problem
« on: May 30, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »

Hey guys

I picked up a nice, clean Onkyo TX-8511 at a thrift for $20.  Did not test it since it came with a brief warranty so I could return it if not satisfied.  Brought it home, hooked it up and volume was very low.  Tried some trouble shooting after opening it up.  When I wiggled the large ribbon near the front, I heard an increase in volume.  So I find that if I leave the ribbon at angle in the slot, it plays perfectly.  See picture attached.    Now,  I was just going to use this on the deck this summer so not anything special.

Has anyone had experience with this type of thing?  Maybe some dirt in the slot where the ribbon goes?  Not sure why it plays fine when not inserted all the way but something must be loosing contact when it is inserted 100% of the way.

I will play this all weekend and make sure no other issues arise.   I still have the option to return it early next week.   

thanks for any advice!

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

OldiesButGoodies

Re: volume problem
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »
Emp - you may be forgot to include the pic

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 10:28:07 AM »
I hate stuff with ribbon connectors.   That said, try to figure out if it is a short in the cable or an issue with the connector.   Most of those connectors unattach and reattach with relative ease, so try that.   

The wires that they use for those ribbons are sometimes fine gauge solid rather than stranded, and sometimes the automated machines used for assembly fold the wire back rather than inserting it into the connector cleanly.

You may also have some luck with compressed air and/or DeOxit in the socket.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »
no maybe about it, muchacho!!!

gracias!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
To be clear,  you are writing that it makes normal sound output with the ribbon attached the way you show in the picture,  but the volume drops if fully attached?

If that is the case I recommend looking carefully at the ribbon receptacle with the ribbon removed and perhaps blowing compressed air as Mark suggested.  You may also want to look at the underside of that board for a lifted trace where the ribbon connector is soldered on, and maybe re-flow the lead in that area with the iron.

Good luck,

Pepe

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
Inspect the contact strips at the end of the cable for wear/damage. The contact strip, 5th from the right looks suspect.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:04:41 AM »
Thanks for all the tips.   I spray some canned air into the ribbon slot and used a bit of De-Oxit.  Did not change issue.   Still played perfectly when the ribbon is seated at an angle. 

After playing it at moderate volume, on the back deck, for several continuous hours, both Saturday and Sunday, though pairs of bookshelf size Polks,  RCA Optimus Pro 77s and a pair of homemade speakers,  I am going to keep it where it is and swap it out when I find another cheapie. 

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »
I suspect a short when the ribbon is fully inserted.  Consider checking the contacts in the the female end of the connection might reveal a loose contact that moves when the ribbon is inserted, or some that causes the ribbon to move out of alignment when inserted.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77