Author Topic: Schiit pre popping  (Read 2393 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Schiit pre popping
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
My buddy gets out of one issue and falls right into another. This is on a second system he has setup.

B&O TT into Project pre into Outlaw receiver - all good.

B&O TT into Schiit pre into Outlaw receiver - POP sound when stylus touches down AND when it lifts off.

My 1st thoughts are the gain of the pre is too high or the pre has a faulty ground. Told him to look over the gain settings, try them all. If that doesn't resolve it, remove the ground cable and see what happens.

Any other ideas?

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Schiit pre popping
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »
Recommend you test to see if the popping happens with headphones on and speakers off.  If it stops then the needle is acting as microphone listening to your speakers and that is your issue (how to solve it is another question - figure out why the cart is so microphonic - maybe the gain is crazy as you say).  The oher thing would be to explore how the arm is grounded - is this one of those TTs with no ground wire? 

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
He gave me more info...I thought I had it all.

Happens with two separate TTs in that setup.

Also occurs when the schiit is put into another system.

With that info it shouldn't be the TT or the carts, seems to narrow it down to an issue with the schiit.

I will tell him to test with the headphones.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »
Tell him to check for continuity between the Schitt chassis and it's phono ground lug.   Ditto for grounding lug and outside part of the RCAs for phono input.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »
I would look into the status/quality/general attitude of the phono eq caps in the shciit (sp).  Those eq caps can make the phono section noisy as heck when they go bad,  and they tend to be sensitive to heat.    I think  Anders taught me this at some point when he helped me fix the C-19.

Pepe