Author Topic: Sell emotiva,buy odyssey kismet?  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
Sell emotiva,buy odyssey kismet?
« on: June 11, 2015, 08:32:01 PM »
VERY SERIOUS QUESTION. 

I own a pair of the xpa-1's from the first edition st. Jude edition limited mono blocks with lifetime warranty, special laser etched faceplate, serial numbers 005 & 006, in absolutely pristine condition, and as they are older, have less than 200-300 hours of actual "use time" and that is a very generous estimate. My main system which included the emotiva monos, was hardly used, due to crappy speakers, and sounded like crap, compared to my sunfire signature amp in my den. Would it be worth it to sell, and buy kismet amps?

but am curious........
Would I gain better sound with way less watts??

Everyone's honesty is appreciated.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Re: Sell emotiva,buy odyssey kismet?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:07:46 AM »
  Would I gain better sound with way less watts??   

Sound quality and the WPC, generally speaking, have nothing to do with each other. There are great sounding high and low powered amps as well as not so good.

The only Odyssey amp I've heard had a harsh edge to it, but I don't recall the model and it may have been due to other factors.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
If the speakers in the system running the Emotiva amps are poor quality, I'd spend money on new speakers before buying a new amp.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:19:03 PM »
Very confusing. Crappy speakers but blame it on the amps. No amp is going to make crap speakers sound good. Coupled with quality speakers the XPA-1's can sound awesome
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:56:41 PM by papabearjew »

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
If the speakers in the system running the Emotiva amps are poor quality, I'd spend money on new speakers before buying a new amp.

Agreed!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »
I think you would get more bang for buck by replacing the speakers.

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
I am on my second weekend of breaking in my new energy rc-70's.  Maybe it was the speakers after all.  It is hard to adjust, as mentioned in my rc-70 post. The laid back sound is very different, after several years with the Bic dv-84's and their very bright but great sounding tweeter. This is a much different sound, more of a lower tone overall, but, ......goddamn does peace sells sound good!!!! The dedicated mid in the energy's is what I have been missing all this time???? The bic's had 2 8" woofers and. Tweeter, so the clean midrange was a wee muddled by the woofer, the bright tweeter really made up for it, but THIS is amazing,energy rc-70's really are 1000% better, in every way, minus getting used to the more laid back sound.  Also, I am using my pioneer elite dv-48 as CD player, and not my iPod which is loaded with 128k music, so it's compressed and shrunk to all hell.  This really brings out a much better overall sound.  Sunfire sounds better though,  voltage to woofers, and current taps to mid and highs is amazing in bi-amp. :)

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 09:02:56 PM »
The largest adjustment you can make is in what you are used to hearing.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!