Author Topic: The Snell Killers  (Read 3549 times)

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
The Snell Killers
« on: July 12, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »
I am an asshole since I have owned these speakers for so long and never gave them a fair trial in my main system. After a two day audition, I am sold, and having them re-foamed and veneered.  All drivers are Dynaudio and I included a picture of one of the four 12" woofers that need surrounds.  These speakers are incredible, I was planning on dampening the cabinets, no need since there is 3" foam on all sides (pic) and if I have a crossover problem or so inclined to upgrade, John Dunlavy designed these speakers with a removable panel for easy access (pic).  These speakers are so good, I sold a pair of the Snell type b's!!!  Better pictures are coming along with a proper list of gear used to power them.  enjoy
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: The Snell Killers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 10:43:15 PM »
Glad to see that you are finally getting these hooked up and singing!  Are you sure they are big enough?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Carl

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »
Apologies for my ignorance..They are intriguing. I googled Snell killers and didn't come up with anything readily. What exactly am I looking at here?
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 11:23:06 PM »
I wanted to hear those at the swap meet.   Perhaps you'll host a listening party?

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:41:28 PM »
Apologies for my ignorance..They are intriguing. I googled Snell killers and didn't come up with anything readily. What exactly am I looking at here?

Al, they are DunTech PCL-400 A.K.A. The Black Knights Designed by John Dunlavy of Dunlavy Audio Labs fame

I wanted to hear those at the swap meet.   Perhaps you'll host a listening party?

Mark, I am working on it, life just keeps on giving more things to take care of and gray hair...

Glad to see that you are finally getting these hooked up and singing!  Are you sure they are big enough?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Carl, I got about a day and a half to listen to them before I blew out all the surrounds and big speakers are the tits! They are about 72" X 15" X 22" and weigh in around 180 lbs each!!!!
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:15:34 AM »
Hey n-p,

Glad to see you got those into action.   They looked a little forgotten, sitting in the garage at the last couple swap meets!   I am sure they would have quickly cleared the room pretty if you had fired them up.

Mike

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:52:45 AM »

Mark, I am working on it, life just keeps on giving more things to take care of and gray hair...

No pressure, just something to look forward to.