Author Topic: Bridging  (Read 10059 times)

Offline LGLDSR73

• Double Secret Probation!
    • LymanD.Com
Bridging
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »
I have two TFM-15CB's that I acquired from The Boss (Tom) and as you know, these can be bridged mono (280W?).

What is the advantage in doing this, and how is this accomplished? I have these downstairs with a pair of $500 Cambridge Soundworks speakers that per the manufacturer cannot be bi-amped. (Bi-wired, yes).

Thanks,

Lyman
---
Lyman

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Bridging
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »
Post a pic of the speaker terminals if you have time. ;)

As for mono operation.  There is a switch on the rear you need to slide over to mono.  On the speaker A terminals only,  Right red is negative and Left red is positive.  Use the LEFT input. The right is disabled in mono operation. ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:34:47 PM »
Thanks Tom. But if not bi-amping then what is the advantage to bridging? If bridging does not one wind up with...dual Mono? (As strange as that sounds).

Specs:

Model: M80
18 x 11 x 10
Currently bi-wired per Page 9 if the .PDF will attach. Will email that to you anyway just in case.

Best,

Lyman
---
Lyman

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:49:38 PM »
I would try it in mono. yes, that can be considered dual mono. More overall power. It may improve the  low volume ( normal listening level) sound a bit. I don't understand why those speakers can't be bi-amped. I need to look into that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:51:41 PM by OCCD »

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »
Because you are unable to bi-amp these speakers, the advantage to bridging is obviously more power. If you were able to bi-amp I would run one amp on highs and one on lows, but you cant. There is no benefit to biwiring outside of the cumulative larger awg of speaker wire. You are better off just using the jumpers that came with the speakers and running a single larger wire to each speaker.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:55:38 PM »
Again, thanks.

Re Bi-Amping...it makes no sense to me either but here is an email from their support when I asked them about bi-amping:

As for Bi-amping these, all that you would benefit would be more low frequency noise, and less high's

Best Regards ,

AJ Swartwood
Cambridge SoundWorks
Sales & Support
---
Lyman

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:57:58 PM »
Again, thanks.

As for Bi-amping these, all that you would benefit would be more low frequency noise, and less high's

Best Regards ,

AJ Swartwood
Cambridge SoundWorks
Sales & Support

I don't understand this. You are using the same crossover and there shouldn't be any interference. You could only gain from the ability to tweak the power levels to each specific crossover to accommodate your taste?? Plus it would eliminate any potential interference between highs and lows since they would no longer be operating from the same power source,
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:01:04 AM by king-edwin »
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:59:47 PM »
I was looking at reviews on these.  Above average marks.  Several of the reviews recommend high power.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/cambridge-soundworks/m80/PRD_128136_4290crx.aspx

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:45 AM »
Check out this post on bi-wiring vs bi-amping
http://www.audioforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14401

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:04:49 AM »
Post a pic of the speaker terminals if you have time. ;)

As for mono operation.  There is a switch on the rear you need to slide over to mono.  On the speaker A terminals only,  Right red is negative and Left red is positive.  Use the LEFT input. The right is disabled in mono operation. ;D
Tom,

Here is a diagram of the rear speakers, Bi-Wiring illustrated. Again, I don't understand why these can't be Bi-Amped....

Thanks,

Lyman
---
Lyman

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 12:08:45 PM »
I spoke with tech support (the same person that emailed me earlier) at Cambridge Soundworks and was told there was no issue with Bi-Amping. The reason he told me it was not possible was to stay in compliance with company policy...the short of it being is their concern that someone is going to Bi-Amp and crank the amps for all their worth and fry the speakers.

So I am going to give that a try. Any advice before doing so?

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Lyman
---
Lyman

BB3

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »
LYMAN,

May I Ask What PreAmp Or Receiver You Plan To Use With Your Amps ? I Want To Give A Suggestion, But I Need To Know The Answer To The Above Question First.----BILL(BB3)

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 01:34:30 PM »
LYMAN,

May I Ask What PreAmp Or Receiver You Plan To Use With Your Amps ? I Want To Give A Suggestion, But I Need To Know The Answer To The Above Question First.----BILL(BB3)
Sure, thanks Bill. Dual Carver TFM-15CB's, CT-7 Pre-Amp.

Many thanks!
---
Lyman

BB3

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
Ok, so if I'm not mistaken that PreAmp has 2 input/outputs on the back of it, right ? In the owners manual Mr.Carver states that one of the input/outputs is to be used for a "tube like" sound and the other is more for a "tight" solid state type sound.

So....Here's what I suggest Lyman, run the one TFM-15 used for the highs to the "tube like" input/outputs and the other TFM-15 to the "tight" solid state input/outputs. Please make sure that both of your amps are in Stereo, NOT MONO.

I Suspect That You Will Have Spectacular Results Sir.-------BILL(BB3)

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »
Ok, so if I'm not mistaken that PreAmp has 2 input/outputs on the back of it, right ? In the owners manual Mr.Carver states that one of the input/outputs is to be used for a "tube like" sound and the other is more for a "tight" solid state type sound.

So....Here's what I suggest Lyman, run the one TFM-15 used for the highs to the "tube like" input/outputs and the other TFM-15 to the "tight" solid state input/outputs. Please make sure that both of your amps are in Stereo, NOT MONO.

I Suspect That You Will Have Spectacular Results Sir.-------BILL(BB3)
Bill,

The CT-7 has one Pre-Out as found on Page 16 of the manual. I would attach it but it is 1.6MB in size which exceeds the attachment size.

I couldn't find a reference to the statement "Tube like" in either the manual for the CT-Seven or for the TFM-15CB's. Oddly enough I do recall those words being in the manual for the Sunfire! Never should have sold that....

---
Lyman