Author Topic: Teac X-2000R Erase Problem  (Read 2829 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Teac X-2000R Erase Problem
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »
I have a Teac X-2000 that does everything perfectly, except fully erase tape before recording over. The issue is minimal - feels like it is off my a tad in one direction (this deck has 6 heads). I have been looking at the manual which describes "Erase Efficiency" but does not discuss electrical adjustments.    If I bulk erase the tape ahead of time there is no issue.

Any tips?

My next step was to play with the tangency and azimuth of the problematic erase head  during a recording of silence. 

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Teac X-2000R Erase Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
I think your next step would also be my next step.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »
Most likely a bias issue to the erase head assuming alignment/azimuth is correct. That would be my guess. What happened to the Otari? One thing to be aware of with the X2000 is that it was built at a point where Teac was cost cutting and they started to use DC motors versus the superior but more costly AC motors. So I guess the X2000 is now the deck of the month >:D
I will say that my Teac A-1230 that I bought new on 2-22-72 still performs quite well after all these years!

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
From Ken Swauger:

"Hi Carl,
Erasing is done with the same high frequency signal that is used to bias the recording process. In your deck this is 150kHz, certainly requiring a close contact between the erase head and the tape. Also, certain "high bias" tapes can be more difficult to completely erase. If I had to venture a guess I would say that there is slightly less tape-to-head tension in one direction than in the other, causing the reduction in erasing efficiency.
To be honest, it is probably best to continue bulk erasing just to insure completely quiet tapes. As a test you could try using a 7" reel but set the tension for 10.5" to see if there's better erasure.
Cheers, Ken"

---
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »
Most likely a bias issue to the erase head assuming alignment/azimuth is correct. That would be my guess. What happened to the Otari? One thing to be aware of with the X2000 is that it was built at a point where Teac was cost cutting and they started to use DC motors versus the superior but more costly AC motors. So I guess the X2000 is now the deck of the month >:D
I will say that my Teac A-1230 that I bought new on 2-22-72 still performs quite well after all these years!

Otari is fine,  says hello!

bearjew

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »
i would have drop kicked you back to PR if you flipped the Otari.  What an awesome deck.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »
To close the loop on this thread - I decided not to touch the erase head at all and use a bulk eraser instead.  This a dream deck that does everything right except perfectly erasing tapes.  I have multiple bulk erasers,  including one that PBJ gave me that is strong enough to kill a neighbor wearing a pacemaker if pointed in the wrong direction.  So I will use that and keep my amateur tech hands away from this fine deck.   ;D

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
Probably a good decision!

BTW, I have a used set of pinch rollers that belong to that deck, along with a Service Manual that are yours.
Carl