Author Topic: Lithium ion battery packs...  (Read 1828 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Lithium ion battery packs...
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:51 AM »
Sorry, this may be in the wrong forum location...

I was trying to repair some Ryobi 18v lithium battery packs...

I was successful in some, but unsuccessful in MORE!   >:D  After new/good/charged batteries were soldered in, the tools would not recognize some of the refurbed battery packs, but it measured 18 to 20v dc on a VOM???

Has anyone else tried to do this?  Is it NOT worth it?  The new OEM batteries are expensive...

Comments/thoughts appreciated...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Lithium ion battery packs...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:03:03 AM »
I wonder if it has to do with discharge rates.   Will the packs that won't run a drill (for example) power a flashlight?

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »
Mark,
good thought, but no the battery pack either powers saw/drill/light or it does not...

Guessing I may have damaged the electronics...  I heat sinked delicate components...  Amazing how much electronics are in the lithium battery packs!

???
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
I had good luck buying cheap versions of 18V packs and then placing those into the proper case for my tools.... left everything in place except the batteries and just had to rewire the rechargeables to fit.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 12:21:18 PM »
I have good luck taking mine to Batteries Plus to be rebuilt.  About 60% of the cost of new and for an extra $5 was able to upgrade to L-Ion
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77