Author Topic: Geek Meeting October 3rd 2015  (Read 12135 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Geek Meeting October 3rd 2015
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
Jim - my take: both your CD players are vintage enough that their ability to play CD-Rs is iffy at best.  Anders' CDs should have played fine in your blu ray player though - did you try that last night?

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »
good idea, but we didn't try them in the BR player... and since they didn't get the love from the CD players, Anders didn't leave them.... wish we'd have thought of it last night... however, my BR only has HDMI out and that might not have met the groups standards lol funny, no issues though with CDs I've recorded nor from you and REV....or that Anders brought last year or was it the year before? somethings changed?
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »

Mark thanks for bringing the cleaner... I really liked it and hope to order one, maybe this week.... I just need your secret formula / brands of cleaning fluids etc. if you're willing to share.

By all means...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009A357UG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004GW5M9C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JKYX3J17N3FR92EJRK0

Seems pricey, but keep in mind that it makes 16 GALLONS of cleaning solution.   Brush it on, make a good lather.

Follow that with 50/50 isopropyl/distilled water.   Brush that so that it covers all vinyl surfaces.

Follow that with a distilled water rinse.

Cheap, easy and really effective.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »

Anders, sorry that neither of my CD players didn't give a lot of love to your CDs. I've not had that problem previously... wonder what the scoop was?  I checked both with regular cds and no errors or problems.

Lots of vintage decks didn't like burned CDs.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 08:07:36 PM »
I have a couple of decks that don't like CDRs, but if I load and copy them via the PC, the copy will play just fine.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
Mark - recording Mingus to the TDK SA100 blank tape you gave to me at the meeting using the Nak CR-4.   Great tape!  Thanks!

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 08:42:32 PM »
You are most welcome.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »
Jim, thanks for the great time!  Lot's of good food, music and drink.  Most of all, nice friendly people and a great time was had by all.  Jim's music systems are terrific!  I had a fantastic time.  Thanks again for hosting!
Carl

Anders

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 09:40:46 PM »
I used CD-R and I'm wondering if CD+R would have worked better.
They played fine in the car.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 12:49:02 AM »
You are thinking of DVDs.   There is no such thing as a CD+R.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
You guys all sound like it was a great time.  I had hoped to attend but mother-in-law birthday plans took us out of town.   

For future reference,  did any spouse/SO's attend?

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »
No Geek spouses / SO.... my wife was here and friends and neighbors did come as couples...
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 10:40:02 AM »
So what were you folks spinning to demo the system(s)??   

Inquiring minds want to know!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
Jim has a number of LPs that always make it to the playlist,  I heard some of those (Earl Klugh + Bob James Two of a Kind: check!).  It was a lot of fun to see the printed record cleaning machine in action.   I think it approximates what the VPI 16.5 does for a fraction of the money. 

Mark - I think you need a wider and "stiffer hair" brush - just my subjective opinion.  A brush you can hold in position w your hand and press while turning the record with the other hand,  so the hairs really get into the grooves.  I am looking forward to testing your solution recommendations.  For now I have enough expensive stuff to last me for a while.  Have you considered using less solution in step 1?  Or dilute that solution more.  Feels like there is too much soapy action going on compared to my enzymatic solution. Just a thought,  I surmise you have experimented with various proportions by now.

OBG 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »

Mark - I think you need a wider and "stiffer hair" brush - just my subjective opinion.  A brush you can hold in position w your hand and press while turning the record with the other hand,  so the hairs really get into the grooves.  I am looking forward to testing your solution recommendations.  For now I have enough expensive stuff to last me for a while.  Have you considered using less solution in step 1?  Or dilute that solution more.  Feels like there is too much soapy action going on compared to my enzymatic solution. Just a thought,  I surmise you have experimented with various proportions by now.

OBG

Do you have a link to a suggested brush?   I'm very open to trying something better than my paint brushes.

I'm not sure what the benefit to less solution would be.   In pretty much any non-fabric cleaning I have ever done, more suds seems to always be better.   I'm not saying you might not be right, I just am unsure of what the benefit would be.   I do a two step rinse to make sure there is no soapy residue.

Not to brag, but I felt that the sound that came out of that record I gave Jim was all the proof that is needed.   It was a dirty, fifty year old thrift store find that sounded like new vinyl after a two minute cleaning.   Jim also seemed pleased with how it lowered the noise floor on his James/Klugh.