Author Topic: "Banshee" TV Show  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
"Banshee" TV Show
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »
They ran for four years on Cinemax.   I had never heard of it, but evidently they filmed here in Pittsburgh.   Today I went to their wrap sale, getting rid of props, costumes, etc..   My daughter got over $300 worth of clothing with the tags still on it for $50.   All I got were these two old receivers for $3 each...

Won't get to test 'em until tomorrow, but for that price.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/gms/5205448938.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:02:42 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

bearjew

Re: "Banshee" TV Show
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »
if only we could get a wrap sale from a jack nicholson movie :P

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »
That show was renting vehicles off me.  I hate that it was the last season.  It was nice, easy money.
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
The Scott is perfect.   Like doesn't even need DeOxit perfect.   The Hitachi is dead.   Like no lights no sound of any kind dead.   Maybe I'll get lucky and find a blown fuse inside.   Even if I don't, The Scott would still be a scroe for $6.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »
I've owned some older Scott stuff.  Always performed well. I still have two sets of Scott speakers. S186 and s196 models.  smooth, neutral, very enjoyable speakers...flew well under the radar. 

Good score Mark.  I need to follow you around...you get some great excited at thrifts, etc!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
So, I have a Hitachi SR-604 that was DOA. No external fuse holder, so I opened it up and sure enough the fuse was blown. What was interesting is that the meter I used to check continuity is part of a kit, which also includes one of those AC detector probes. So, the detector was sitting probably 4" from the silver face of the receiver. I replaced the fuse and as soon as I plugged the unit back in, that detector went nuts. I though that was odd but proceeded anyway. I hit the power button and the unit lit up for maybe two seconds before blowing the new fuse.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the board was singed around all four pins of one of two S4VB rectifiers. Upon closer inspection from the top, I saw that this rectifier had stress fractures in the plastic, like it had exploded from the inside. I also noted that the good one had a red dot on it, but the blown one's dot had turned black.

First question: The component is labeled "S4VB" only. All of the replacements I am seeing are labeled S4VB-5, or -10, or -20 or even -60. How do I know which one I can use? Does it even matter?

Second, are there likely components upstream that would have caused the failure that I should look for? Likewise, are there downstream components that would have likely been destroyed when that component went out?

Lastly, is the rectifier alone a reasonable explanation for the behavior of the AC detector, or should I be looking for additional issues? TIA.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:27:01 PM »
From a quick Google search it appears that the suffix just indicates working voltage.  The "4" looks like it indicates its a 4 amp bridge rectifier and the -xx indicates max working voltage.
S4vb20 is a 200vac rectifier and a s4vb60 is a 600 volt recitifier.  If this logic is correct substituting a higher working volktage will have no ill affect.  The burnt board is troublesome. Did someone install a new part incorrectly in the past? Possible. A schematic would be a huge help.  Look for any shorted filter caps. Burnt resistors, etc.  Also it appears that this is a class g/h amp so it has dual voltage rails. So that complicates things a bit too.  Carfeully inspect all components.  I was had an amp that ran hot as hell.  I found a super thin strand of speaker wire fell inside and was shorting something out. It worked fine...sounded fine, but ran very very hot.
I removed this stray strand and its been perfect ever since.  I wish my old electronics skills were still with me but I've forgotten way too much. If I had to hazard any type of guess I would start with output devices. A shorted output transistor will blow fuses and usually damage other components as they die suddenly.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 10:29:26 PM »
Great info, at.   Thanks.   How does one check OPTs?   BTW, I fould a schematic at HFE and it says "S4VB-20" so I ordered one.   Pretty cheap, so if it dies right away again, I'll start testing OPTs.