The Home Theater Corner > Home Theater Video

On Switching from FIOS to Comcast

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bunni:
Comcast is constantly upgrading also, and many people may still be using docsis 2.0 modems.  You won't see the improved speeds unless you have a docsis 3.0 compliant modem.  We have Blast as well, and a recent boost has us at 150/10.  We only have basic cable to get the discount on the internet service, and we don't have anything capable of taking advantage of other offerings TV wise.  We rarely watch any TV, other than what we stream from Netflix or Hulu. 

We have a wifi & wired network we set up ourselves.  You don't need to subscribe to wifi anything from Comcast, all you need is a wireless router.  They charge you for something you can do yourself.  It's not like it's a separate service, unless you're renting all your equipment from them including the router, and then they've got ya.

I also don't rent a modem from Comcast.  I've always bought my own.  Since they have been regularly upgrading I have future proofed a bit with an Arris/Motorola SB6183.  Your router needs to be capable of some speed as well.  We're currently using an Asus RT-AC68P. 

A feature of the router is the ability to directly plug in an external drive, and so I'm thinking of getting one to put all our digital music on. 

OldiesButGoodies:
Those are great points Bunni - I am going to look into the possibility of buying the cable modem myself.

My rented modem+wifi router is docsis 3 compliant,  not sure what Jim has;  will check the next time I pop over his place.  If it is not,   he needs to replace that too. 

OBG

Bunni:
I'm not sure if they do it here or not, but another good reason to buy your equipment, especially a router is because when Comcast sets up your wifi they make you a hot spot for other customers, potentially reducing your bandwidth.  Lots of customers are not happy with that arrangement.  But if you have your own, they can't really mess with it. 

Also routers come with predetermined user name and password.  You want to be sure and change that at your first opportunity.  Most people don't and wonder why they get hacked.

OldiesButGoodies:
I changed everything about my router the day I got it,  security wise. Turned off the wifi, among other things.  Thanks!

:laugh:

treos33:
As far as the 1080p setting goes, I don't think any channels broadcast in 1080p. Most are 1080i and some are still 720p. You probably only get 1080p when watching on-demand content, the rest is being upscaled by the box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version