Author Topic: Poetry in motion: The 1990s Ford Taurus SHO  (Read 7398 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Poetry in motion: The 1990s Ford Taurus SHO
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
Have always been attracted to this stupid car for some reason:

One reviewer in the net summarized the reality of SHO ownership beautifully:

"Hell, the engine is the highlight of that car by a long, long, long shot. It's everything else around it that's junk. I had an '89 SHO and I have never owned a car so unworthy of the engine that moved it; in that way the SHO was the 80s/early-90s interpretation of the 60s/early-70s muscle cars that had great engines but handled like balls. It was a really fun car to do stoplight battle with -- stunned a whole lot of people who didn't know any better and thought it was just another old, tired 15-year-old Detroit-crap family sedan. But the chassis was awful despite Ford engineers making a valiant effort to tune it for high-performance duty; there's only so much you can do to turn a 1980s-era mid-size, mid-market, FWD American family sedan into a performance machine. The brakes were frighteningly inadequate. Overall it was a downright scary car to drive near its limits. The Yamaha motor was just way too much motor for that car."

That is beautiful prose, IMO!

Will skip it.

OBG

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Re: Poetry in motion: The 1990s Ford Taurus SHO
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
Never owned one, but have driven one. And the regular ol V6, which eventually had the head gasket go like so many of them. He about sums it up, that car was horrible on back road bendies, like a waterbed on wheels. I'd like to trade our Mustang in on the latest Taurus SHO someday.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
I inherited a 2003 Mercury Sable station wagon with the big V6.  The car was beautiful with a leather interior.  I got the car with 29K miles.  My son finally traded the car in last year with 240K miles.  It was still running great.  The paint was oxidizing, a little surface rust, yellow head lamp covers but the interior was near perfect.  The dealer sold it for $1,000. 
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:13:39 PM »
I think that the engine in my Freestyle is a first cousin of that one.   I'd like to wind it out once but I'm literally afraid of blowing up the transmission.   They don't have a great rep and are very expensive to service, so I baby it.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
Maria and I owned one.... silver. great engine and ZERO torque steer which was just amazing. That car would really scoot. Made it from Boyce Rd.& Rt.19 to Sandusky Ohio in that thing in exactly 2 hours and 3 minutes one time with the help of a radar detector. It did have crappy plastic stick on body moldings that started falling apart at 35,000 miles. Our's had a manual transmission, that melted the clutch plates at 16,000 miles. dealership blamed/ charged us, but found out that it was built with the heat shielding missing from the front of tranny and stopped payment on the repair.... have Maria tell you about our test drive in Columbus  with the kids in the back seat lol!
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
Another Ford with an interesting engine in the present tense:  the new Mustang Shelby 350 has a flat-plane crankshaft.  Thing produces 526HP at 7500 RPM,  Ferrari V-8 style  :P:

http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang-shelby-gt350

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »
You guys missed the point of my Boyce Rd/ Rt to Sandusky OH story.... that's an average of over 100mph! HAD to get there for a last minute meeting, boss said he'd pay tickets and jail if necessary lol. True Story.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »
You guys missed the point of my Boyce Rd/ Rt to Sandusky OH story.... that's an average of over 100mph! HAD to get there for a last minute meeting, boss said he'd pay tickets and jail if necessary lol. True Story.

You would enjoy a trip to Germany.  I have a blast driving the autobahn when I go for work,  though I never get a rental car worthy of the road.  averaging 100 is easy over there -  it is there "55"!

OBG

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »
"though I never get a rental car worthy of the road."     Time to rent a better car, Pepe.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 06:58:06 AM »
bucket list has a "brisk drive" on the Autobahn and touring Europe on it... not next year, but 2017 or 2018 for sure.