Author Topic: Sleeve City Ultimate Outer 5.0 sleeves  (Read 2673 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Sleeve City Ultimate Outer 5.0 sleeves
« on: December 04, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »
Not much of an equipment review, but a review nonetheless. I purchased 50 of these a couple months back. Looking at the reviews on their site it seemed to be a slam dunk. Well for me, it's not. Only two negative reviews on them and both of those were shipping issues. Seems fishy no negatives are posted, there are a few on other forums. I emailed them and they replied, see below.

First, what is NOT clearly explained on the site is the sleeves are designed for albums to drop in from the top. That's great if you store your albums like books in a bookcase. I don't, all my albums are stored front facing so I can flip through them, so I slide albums in out jackets from the side. The albums fit, although they barely slide in far enough, another 1/8" would be nice.

Second is the feel of the sleeves. SLIPPERY. Stiff and non-pliable. I run hot water over them so get the slippy off, but it's barely enough. I prefer a nice broken in feel, these do not provide that. Their reply states, "we do not carry an item that is softer. the 2.5 Outer Sleeve will not be as stiff, which is mainly because it is not as thick."

Third, as advertised they are super crystal clear. But the other two negatives far outweigh this positive for me.

Their 2.0 Antistatic inner sleeves are great, if you don't mind their name on them.

Looks like I'll need to track down outer sleeves from elsewhere. Anyone bought any from a different vendor they're happy with that might work for me?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Sleeve City Ultimate Outer 5.0 sleeves
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
I get my sleeves from The Attic record store in Millvale.   You can see exactly what you are buying and they are (believe it or not) cheaper than the online vendors.

Of course it can get expensive if you start looking at the records while you are there!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »
Never thought to get em there. And I can't walk out of record store without a record, but i like seeing before buying.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
I wouldn't have dreamed that a local B&M would be cheaper than the internet, but someone told me.