Author Topic: Emotiva XPS-1  (Read 3148 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Emotiva XPS-1
« on: August 08, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
Great sound from this compact phono pre.  I bought it during a really good sale aiming to add a second phono input to Emo XSP-1 preamp,  which comes with a built-in phono input.  As far as I can tell SQ-wise the XPS-1 is the equivalent of the XSP-1's phono input,  which is not a bad thing.  Adjustable load,  a built in step up for MC that works well with the Frog cart (which pumps out 0.65 mV).   

The build quality is typical Emotiva - this pre could be used to inflict serious harm if thrown at an attacker at high speed.  The wall wart power supply is - well - a wall wart.  But it has the advantage of being several feet away from the main pre board. 

There is a chance that the XPS-1 beats the Emo XSP-1's built-in phono input,  it will require several days/weeks of testing to confirm - but the difference is not night and day.  Great pre for the money!

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Emotiva XPS-1
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:27:57 PM »
I was reading through Emo's site the other day and saw this, looks like a fantastic unit, especially at the price. Thanks for the review!

bearjew

Re: Emotiva XPS-1
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »
Yeah, it's supposed to be an awesome unit (yeah, I said unit hehe).  I remember hearing somewhere that it's the same as the xsp's built in, but I could be wrong.  maybe it having a dedicated power supply gives it a small advantage; who knows?