Author Topic: Anti-Skate Techniques  (Read 3245 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Anti-Skate Techniques
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:17:23 PM »
How do you set anti-skate on your TT?

I have heard of those that go by the tracking force, some use 2/3 of that, some use more,  some put on a mono recording and look for equal distortion or lack thereof on both channels,  have even heard of a fellow in audiokarma that uses an oscilloscope.  Also heard (and I am guilty of trying) using a groove-less record  (laserdisk) and setting AS to keep the arm static (read this is one of the worse ways to do it - not sure why).

Any opinions on how to do this right?

Pepe

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Anti-Skate Techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »
I use 2/3 - 3/4 of tracking force.   I've never had any issues.

I have a record with a few repeater skips.   If I use too much or too little, the needle jumps the groove.   If I get it just right, the record tracks without issue.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:50:42 PM »
I sometimes use the que control as a guide.  If after lifting and lowering the arm, the stylus settles back into the same grove, or close, the anti skate is OK
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »
Thanks everyone...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 01:53:47 AM »
I sometimes use the que control as a guide.  If after lifting and lowering the arm, the stylus settles back into the same grove, or close, the anti skate is OK

That's okay as long as you know that your mechanism is perfectly level and true.

Offline Gelid

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »

That's okay as long as you know that your mechanism is perfectly level and true.

Most TT's should be level and true. I use the grooveless record as a guide, then the que control method suggested above. Between the two, I can get it pretty good.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »
Best way to set your anti-skate is to use the Hi-Fi News test record.... setting on a smooth record surface is an old wives tale, but better than nothing. If you set it by the Hi-Fi News test record and then try the grooveless record you will find that the arm will slowly move toward the outside of the record.
Also, make sure to set your VTF (weight)  prior to the anti-skate. Setting it afterwards will yield a different result and will start a vicious circle of adjustment ie you'll reduce the VTF which will throw off the anti-skate....

I've used a dual trace oscilloscope for confirming that the stylus is set perfectly perpendicular to the record surface. Most stylus are not actually set perfectly into the cartridge body. This is usually done only after the tone arm height is set to the prefered height/ pitch.. usually perfectly parallel to the record surface. Make sure it is set with a disposable record on the platter.

a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:07:41 PM »

Most TT's should be level and true. I use the grooveless record as a guide, then the que control method suggested above. Between the two, I can get it pretty good.

Not just the plinth, but the mechanism.   Some of those lift arms on old tables can get out of true after years of use/misuse.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:19:18 PM »
If you actually put a mini level on the lift mechanism arm, you'll find that most are not level. Also, you are forgetting that the lift mechanism actually lowers the stylus all the way to the record surface... it's not in free fall, so it has cannot/ should not be affected by the anti-skate.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 12:06:58 AM »
If you actually put a mini level on the lift mechanism arm, you'll find that most are not level.

Yep.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 10:16:03 AM »
Using an oscilloscope for determining exact perpendicular orientation of stylus can help with anti-skate... but you need to use mono albums. Also note that you will get different readings across the surface of the album.... think of the Merry Go Round you rode as a kid or one of the spin toys in the park .. the outside edge  is moving faster than closer to the spindle. Thus the effectiveness of the Hi-Fi News test record....which has test bands at different points across the record surface.