Author Topic: Vintage Parts  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Roger Kidder

• FNG !!!
Vintage Parts
« on: March 29, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
Hey-ho, y'all!

I'm an FNG on this forum and this is my first inquiry for help.

So I have been refurbishing the Guild "The New Englander Stereophonic HiFi" from 1960. All is going well but I have determined that the Treble pot needs to be replaced; it's dropping out on the right channel unless I manage to get the shaft on the "sweet spot". Further testing ruled out everything but the pot. In any case, the pot is ganged with a 2" shaft and my search online has revealed very little information about the availability of replacements. Would anyone here know of a reliable resource for vintage electronic parts? I would settle for some place to cross reference the pot's model number to one that is available. Any ideas? Thanks for your indulgence.
Roger Kidder
--------------
Lifelong Audiophile

• 1959 Guild "The New Englander" Rolltop Hi-Fi Stereo

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Vintage Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »
Have you first tried cleaning the pot with DeOxit?   I usually only replace a pot if the shaft is completely seized.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:22:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Roger! Post some pics of your system please!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:35:52 PM »
Deoxit and fader lube....def +1 on that recommendation!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:34:22 AM »
There are a lot of treble potentiometers out there. To help find the proper replacement you need to know what the proper ohm value is and if it has a center detent. Your current pot should have the ohm value marked on it.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."