Author Topic: Mid for Rectilinear Highboys (Philips)  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Mid for Rectilinear Highboys (Philips)
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »
Recently bought a pair of Highboys (Model III, first version) that have one mid replaced.   Through their manufacture, two mid drivers were used.    The models that should work are the Philips AD5060/M8 and AD5061/M8 with the whizzer cone.   The one I currently have is the one with the whizzer, but I understand the other driver is far more common as it was also used in Dahlquist DQ-10 and many others.   I would be psyched to find either one.   Thanks.

When I finally got around to testing these I found one mid replaced and two tweeters dead. But upon opening it, it looks like the tweeters are okay. Turns out they were removed from the circuit. The one board has also been recapped, with POLAR caps. The previous "repairman" probably took the tweeters out of the circuit after figuring they didn't work when his recap didn't help. I haven't heard them, but they test good on a meter. I don't have room for a speaker this large, so I'm rebuilding to send 'em away. So my goal is to get 'em singing as cheap and quick as possible. I am by no means a "tech", but this really illustrates why real techs would rather work on stuff that hasn't been touched. I'm so glad only one cabinet had been screwed with and I have the other as reference.

Offline Magnaryder

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
Re: Mid for Rectilinear Highboys (Philips)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:43:06 PM »
See if hewlew1(Harry Williams) can help you out, he seems to know alot about that stuff.

ray

Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Mid for Rectilinear Highboys (Philips)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:20:26 PM »
Thanks.   A guy on AK got me one.