Author Topic: Thrift store score  (Read 3445 times)

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
Thrift store score
« on: June 03, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »
Just a crazy string of coincidences, I had a customer that is (now was) interested in one of my cars.  Didn't have a ride and lives in Penn Hills, bought off my Dad before so I drove out.  During the test drive they wanted to put down the top, we pulled into the parking lot of a St Vincent DePaul.  They wanted to play with some options watch the top work, whatever.  I said I was going to run in and check out the thrift.  As normal, nothing there, I was in a rush and started to walk out when...  I piece of equipment just coming out caught my eye.  I couldn't believe it, could it be?  A Sony STR GX10es, it took all of 5 seconds for me to grab it and then I saw the remote, what are the chances?  Works great and sounds AMAZING.  It is in good overall shape but missing the wood sides.  I guess I can live with that.

Best part is, I could potentially make more money selling the Sony than the car I originally went out to sell.  My customer wanted me to finance them, which I do not do.  I have never been in that St Vincent DePaul and I am very rarely ever in Penn Hills, maybe I will start going.

Only 2000 of these receivers were ever made and sold for $1200 in 1988!!!!!!

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.  Thank you  for looking.
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Thrift store score
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »
When!?!   I live two blocks from that store!

Seriously, nice score.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:40:08 PM »
I am in Penn Hills too!  Close to St Vin dep...  But not as close as STaL!  :)  I am off many Fridays, shoot a text if you are ever in the area again...

George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »
Great being in the right place at the right time!
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
The part Nick isn't saying is what he paid.  If I know that store, they sold it to him for $9.99 because it was untested.   It would have been $19.99 if they had fired it up.

I have to admit, I would have seen the copper and figured it was a quality piece, but I wouldn't have known how special it was until I Googled.   I wonder if it was donated by the same guy who donated the JBL S38BE's that I pulled out of there for $15 on Tuesday.   Like any thrift, you'll see nothing for months and then bam!

If I couldn't get it, I'm glad Nick did.   Good karma for hosting the swap (ugh... excuse me... fest), I would say.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:04:32 PM »
That's one serious remote!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 07:27:57 PM »
Nick - good karma for you for selling me the Manley VTL Compact 80s for low dough.  Enjoying them right now with all new genalex gold lion (kt77/ecc81/ecc82) tubes all around.  They sound great. 

Untitled by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

Untitled by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

The Sony is a huge score for a thrift store.

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 08:29:41 PM »
The last one on eBay sold for over $700.   I'm sure you can get new end caps made.

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »
Nice score! I gotta get back into the deal searches! I have been too caught up in making the house look good to bother much with searching for audio deals. Living in this area and having yardsale season here there should be good deals to be had! Nice amps, Jose! 👍
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »
I like those VTL monoblocks Pepe!

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 01:19:41 AM »
I bought a new Sony STR-AV1000 new in the late 80's. It's remote looks like the one Nick just got. I bought it to replace my Marantz 2325 that I had bought new around 1975 while in college. I still have that Sony receiver with the remote.

Offline audiokingman

• FNG !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »
Just a crazy string of coincidences, I had a customer that is (now was) interested in one of my cars.  Didn't have a ride and lives in Penn Hills, bought off my Dad before so I drove out.  During the test drive they wanted to put down the top, we pulled into the parking lot of a St Vincent DePaul.  They wanted to play with some options watch the top work, whatever.  I said I was going to run in and check out the thrift.  As normal, nothing there, I was in a rush and started to walk out when...  I piece of equipment just coming out caught my eye.  I couldn't believe it, could it be?  A Sony STR GX10es, it took all of 5 seconds for me to grab it and then I saw the remote, what are the chances?  Works great and sounds AMAZING.  It is in good overall shape but missing the wood sides.  I guess I can live with that.

Best part is, I could potentially make more money selling the Sony than the car I originally went out to sell.  My customer wanted me to finance them, which I do not do.  I have never been in that St Vincent DePaul and I am very rarely ever in Penn Hills, maybe I will start going.

Only 2000 of these receivers were ever made and sold for $1200 in 1988!!!!!!

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.  Thank you  for looking.

I own the nearly identical Sony STR-GX9ES receiver and it does have the wood side panels.
They are great receivers.
Congrats.