Author Topic: Soldering Iron/Station...  (Read 3609 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Soldering Iron/Station...
« on: October 29, 2016, 08:05:41 AM »
Well my faithful Weller 8200 soldering Iron finally bit the dust a few days ago...

What are some recommendations for a good & economical soldering iron/station...  Funds are limited, so looking up to $40 max.  Noticed MCM is having a sale on a few of their stations...

Thanks!
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Soldering Iron/Station...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:15:18 AM »
This looks to be a clone of the Hakko 937:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00NILZNDC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_lft?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=positive&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=1

The reviews are good.  One reviewer mentioned it "burning out" - I suspect that means the heating element failed - this often happens while trying to change tips after several welding cycles.  The tip sticks to the heating element and trying to remove it forcefully damages the element.  After owning two,  my recommendation is:  don't change tips.  In real life only one tip is used 99% of the time (for hobbyist like us).  [but if you do damage it,  just replace it with a spare,  readily available]

The difference between this type of station and the typical Weller is big is terms of speed-to-temperature and temperature stability.  It makes working on stuff just a tad more fun/less drudgery. 

If you can afford it a genuine Hakko FX888 (or a used one on Ebay) is a great option (that is what I use all the time,  w an old 937 as a backup):

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Digital-FX888D-Soldering-Station/dp/B00AWUFVY8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1477753801&sr=8-7&keywords=hakko+937

FYI: If  you recap equipment with any frequency a desoldering station like this one is a blessing:

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FR300-05-P-Desoldering-Tool/dp/B00KWM69C4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477753905&sr=8-1&keywords=hakko+808

It makes removing components from a board crazy easy. 

Regards,

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
Just a couple months ago I bought this on a recommendation of a fellow at AK.   I couldn't possibly be happier.   Temperature control and instant heat up for $25 and shipped free.   It is MUCH better than the Parts Express special it replaced.   Don't worry about it being a refurb.   That seller is the US distributor.   They go over the units themselves and warranty it the same as a new unit (1 year, IIRC).   Plus they include an extra element just in case.

http://www.sra-solder.com/aoyue-basic-soldering-station-936-refurb

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
Agree Mark - that is another variation on a Hakko clone,  at an even lower price. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
I'm literally amazed at what a difference temperature control makes.   All this time I thought it was my soldering skills when it seems now that I was just using bad tools.   I wish I had bought one of these ten years ago.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 03:08:06 PM »
I've got the cheapo $16 parts express iron. I needed one quick and was low on funds. It's ok for something here and there, but I wouldn't buy another. Takes awhile to heat. Temp basically needs to be all the way up to do anything, so what's the point of having a control. Once it burns the hell out of the new tip, I'll be moving on to something else like the two above.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 06:30:08 PM »
For $8 more (did I mention free shipping) just buy the one above right now.   Don't wait for the other one to burn out.   Give it to Goodwill.   From the first time you use it you will wonder how you ever worked without it.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »
For $8 more (did I mention free shipping) just buy the one above right now.   Don't wait for the other one to burn out.   Give it to Goodwill.   From the first time you use it you will wonder how you ever worked without it.

^^What he said!

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 07:08:11 AM »
I just ordered one.  I will let you know how it works out.   Thanks for the tip!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation...

I will purchase based on STaL's ( and OBG's ) recommendation...

Thanks again,
George

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 12:58:33 AM »
Did you get the station yet, George?   Have you used it?   Impressions?

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 05:15:05 AM »
Mark, I did get station...

Have not used yet...  Looks to meet my needs...  Will comment after use...  Probably this weekend...

Thanks again,
George

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 04:41:02 PM »
I have a 937+ also and it's great. The one I have has the digital temp readout. Quite handy. BJ has one too I think.