Author Topic: Something I have not heard before  (Read 1598 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Something I have not heard before
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:47:58 AM »
Last night, while listening to the radio (92.9 HD3 channel), Al Stewart's Year of the Cat came on.  The piano intro on that track is very clearly in only one channel and what I never heard before is that the radio intro was in the opposite channel compared to the version I have on Spotify.  I ended up double checking all of my component connections and after verifying they were correct, checked some other Spotify tracks against reliable sources (CD/LP) and verified they were also correctly positioned.

Since I do not have an original source for Year of the Cat (CD or LP) I cannot be sure if it's the Spotify or radio version that I heard playing incorrectly.  I am probably being anal, but can anyone verify the channel of the piano intro?  My Spotify version starts with the piano in the left channel.  The radio had it in the right.  For all I know all of the radio tunes may be reversed and they may need a note informing them of the channel reversal, or maybe Spotify needs to be informed.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Something I have not heard before
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »
Four different YouTube videos all have it in the left.

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
I pulled out my 1976 vinyl copy.

The piano intro is on the LEFT

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
Thanks for the confirmations.  Has anyone ever heard the radio screw up the signal orientation?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »
I'll be honest, I would have never noticed that.   For example, I know the mellotron intro to "Strawberry Fields Forever" is only in one channel, but I couldn't tell you which one.

bmwr75

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
Thanks for the confirmations.  Has anyone ever heard the radio screw up the signal orientation?

Am pretty sure all it would take is some reversed patch cords in a radio station......just like at home.  They probably have never noticed.