Author Topic: Krell S 1500 in the house!  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Krell S 1500 in the house!
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
Well my Sunfire 200 x 5 was in a slow sound decay for quite a while, and finally got bad enough that I had to do something. Tried, but couldn't stand the anemic sound from the receiver. Ended up finding a really great deal on a demo unit Krell S 1500  7 channel. WOW what a difference. The Sunfire never sounded this good on it's best day. Absolute black between notes, Much, much  "faster" and dynamic, detailed highs and mids, but very musical with superb imaging.  Did I mention that the imaging is just fabulous :-)  Using it to bi-amp all three front speakers. Really let me know how bad the Sunfire had become.

Have been  planning a complete system upgrade in 2017.... just pushed the timetable / priorities around a bit lol     Was researching phono pres when the Sunfire croaked. Was down to a Parasound JC3+ or a Sutherland 20/20, but ran into a deal on the Pass Labs Xp-15 with a trial period.... arrives Monday!     Can't wait!

Now it's time for speakers and a new HT head unit or receiver!
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Krell S 1500 in the house!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
Jim,

I heard a couple of impressive speakers at Northern Audio the other day.  The Goldenear Tritons and the very impressive Kef two way LS 50s.  I don't know your price point, but even without a sub, the Kefs have an incredible soundstage.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
Thanks, plan on making it to Northern very soon.  Price range will be $6k to maybe $10k Also looking at used / new to me. Will be interested to see what I can find. Not much interest in Goldenear.... just not my cup of tea.

Truly loving the amp. Shocked at the difference actually.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »
Congrats Jim, looking forward to checking it out!