Author Topic: Morning listeining session at rgpit's  (Read 1551 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Morning listeining session at rgpit's
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:53:19 AM »
Just wanted to thank RGPIT for the chance to listen to a mighty fine system this past Wednesday.  Stopped by his place Wednesday morning and really enjoyed listening to those Harbeths!! 

Good meeting another forum member 

Thanks Ron!

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Morning listeining session at rgpit's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »
I said more than once that those Harbeths are the best sounding speakers on the forum.   Does he still have the home brew subs with them?

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »
While in upstate NY I got the opportunity to listen to a norah jones LP on Harbeths with a Gerrard 301, all-tube mono blocks, and a McIntosh pre  ...  Crazy intimate breathy vocals and natural woody sounding cello/acoustic guitar/acoustic bass, and ext.  Very realistic, and leaning toward the smoother side of things from what I remember.  Quite good in every way.

Oh and the guy had a BARN FULL of NIB vintage stereo gear.  No exaggeration, it was insane.   

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
I listened to a pair at Northern Audio a couple of years back and drooled at the sound.   Need to add them to the growing bucket list of speakers to get someday.  :P

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »
I agree Ron's Harbeth speakers sound amazing.  The image has really nice depth and the speakers literally disappear.

I hope to stop by real soon!  The distance between Ron and I is a bit overwhelming LOL!
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
Not dissing the Harbeths, but my guess is a lot of stand mounted speakers would sound great in Ron's room.  He certainly designed it right.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 07:00:45 PM »
Thanks folks for the comments.

Carl, I know it's quite a trek to get here from your house. If you start early you could be here in what, 5 minutes? ..if you're walking.

STAL, I retired the DIY subs for use in a new speaker project I've been working on. They have been replaced with a couple of ELAC S10EQ's.

RG
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600