Author Topic: "low profile" receiver or integrated  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
"low profile" receiver or integrated
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
I'm upgrading the bedroom system. I don't want a mini amp like Radio Shack used to sell, it can be normal width and depth (or it can be micro if it's not a toy), but I want it to be about 3-4" tall.. So it will match the HD tuner I'll be using it with in the bedroom. Driving Mini 7s, it doesn't have to have a lot of power, I figure anything from 10-40 WPC should be good. It MUST have a mono switch and a balance control. I know some NAD stuff fit the bill as well as some Optonica, Proton and Akai.   What have you got? Thanks.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: "low profile" receiver or integrated
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
Anyone?

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
NonProphet has a nice Arcam for sale.   Finding one with a mono switch  may be a little more difficult, dunno if it has one or not.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
Mark,
I looked & have older Kenwood, Denon & Technics receivers that would meet your height requirements, but none have the mono switch...  Wow, did not realize how rare the mono switch is/was...

My Pioneer SX-636 has the mono switch, but is too high! 

Hope you find something soon...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »
So far all I've seen that meets every requirement is a couple NADs and a couple Protons.

The mono switch is actually a vital feature for our bedroom setup as I sleep with music but my wife doesn't. So, during the day it is a normal setup, but at night the volume goes very low, the mono is depressed and the balance is thrown completely to my side. Without the mono button, I get vocals only on early 60s songs!

I appreciate all of you guys checking what you have.   I may end up buying a Proton AM-200 from eBay, but wanted to try local first.   Thanks so much!

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »
You could put this super-simple circuit in the tape loop of your amp/receiver.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »
I have an Advent 300, that has balance and mono.  15 watts/channel, great tuner. I was planning to have OCCD do some cap work on it, but....
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
The Advent 300 is a very classy looking unit.   It's on my short list.   The only thing I don't like is the relative lack of inputs.   What are you asking?   Thanks.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 11:17:17 PM »

Ron, you are a genius.   Why didn't I think of using the tape monitor in that way.   Even more simply, I could just throw a pair of these in the loop, right?

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
I'm not an EE but I believe you need the resistors for summing two line level output signals into one input. I think that adapter cable is for sharing a mono output between two inputs.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »

Ron, you are a genius.   Why didn't I think of using the tape monitor in that way.   Even more simply, I could just throw a pair of these in the loop, right?

I don't think that will have exactly the same effect - that splitter is meant for one signal to go to two inputs IMO.  Could be wrong.  Ron's circuit would work cuz it follow the rule "outputs are low impedance and must only be connected to high impedance inputs -- never, never tie two outputs directly together -- never. If you do, then each output tries to drive the very low impedance of the other, forcing both outputs into current-limit and possible damage. As a minimum, severe signal loss results"

Here's the link:

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

[post edit] - I am a EE, but most of the practical stuff I know about electronics I learned from a retired policeman who did not go to college - go figure. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:29:06 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 01:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 07:11:13 PM »
A last minute entry has been bought and paid for. Someone came forward with a Vector Research VA-1400. It meets every requirement, I am assured it works great. Plus my first "real receiver" in school in Boston was a Vector Research that I have no idea what happened to it. I've been looking for an excuse to buy another ever since. I know I liked it a lot back then, but that was a lot of equipment ago.   I'm looking very much forward to playing with this.

$100 shipped for an integrated with a bridgable amp and separate MC and MM phono inputs.   It looks like a quality unit, now to see how it sounds.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 06:02:47 AM »
Sounds like a nice grab, Mark, hope it does well for you.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9