Author Topic: 3.5 mm bluetooth receiver  (Read 2382 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
3.5 mm bluetooth receiver
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »
My almost 6 year old daughter is a headphone KILLER. More specifically, she has destroyed 3 different 3.5mm jacks trying to plug headphones into her iPad. We scored a nice pair of Batman bluetooth headphones for $10, those met an early demise during a tantrum. Her current headphones came from 5 Below, they have a removable 3.5mm cable. She just bent the tip off. I've got one cable left, then it'll be splicing two good ends together. Got me to thinking, why not get a bluetooth receiver with a 3.5 jack and strap it to the headphones. I see them for real cheap up to not so cheap. Anyone used a receiver like this? Any thoughts on them?

bearjew

Re: 3.5 mm bluetooth receiver
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
I used a little battery powered nugget one.  I used it in my old car that had a 3.5mm input but no bluetooth.  Didn't sound fantastic, but it worked.  I have like 2 or 3 of them.  If you want them, they're yours.  It's just a 2 inch 3.5mm cable with a little tiny box thing that has a power button and a micro USB charging port.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »
This is where I get told to put on my tin foil hat, but I have concerns about having hours of exposure a day to radiation sources that close to a growing brain (bluetooth is both transmit and receive, right?).   I think the 80s solution of having an FM receiver built right into the headphones is a better one.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:00:04 PM »
I used a little battery powered nugget one.  I used it in my old car that had a 3.5mm input but no bluetooth.  Didn't sound fantastic, but it worked.  I have like 2 or 3 of them.  If you want them, they're yours.  It's just a 2 inch 3.5mm cable with a little tiny box thing that has a power button and a micro USB charging port.

My wife ordered one on eBay for $10. Sounds exactly like what you explained. For her purposes it'll sound fine.

This is where I get told to put on my tin foil hat, but I have concerns about having hours of exposure a day to radiation sources that close to a growing brain (bluetooth is both transmit and receive, right?).   I think the 80s solution of having an FM receiver built right into the headphones is a better one.

Didn't really think about that to be honest. A quick google leads to depends who you ask, when it comes to studies about bluetooth pulsing the results are all over the place. Switzerland says not to keep your phone in your front pocket for fertility concerns. I proved that wrong as I did it for years and aced the fertility test recently. For now, she only gets limited time with the headphones.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
I'm not saying it is harmful, I'm just not saying it isn't.

bearjew

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »
Switzerland says not to keep your phone in your front pocket for fertility concerns.

Oops...