Author Topic: Hello from New Guy in Delaware  (Read 5014 times)

Offline CharlieMason

• FNG !!!
Hello from New Guy in Delaware
« on: May 14, 2017, 09:38:10 AM »
HI All,

I was happy to find the site- I have a DBX DB5 CD player that I didn't want to part with (original owner), and came upon the site while looking for information to service it.
Nice to find a place where everyone enjoys the old stuff.

Look forward to it.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Hello from New Guy in Delaware
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »
Welcome Charlie!

Lot's of good people here talking audio and sharing experiences!  Our members sometimes have knowledge and information.  We also can be totally useless and sometimes tasteless.  But it's all fun.  Welcome!
Carl

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
Welcome Charlie.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:16:05 PM »
Welcome,  Charlie. 

I am currently listening to a '69 Dark Star on the very same DBX D5 Cd player.  Its quite electric.....

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 08:25:22 PM »
Hi Charlie!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »
Welcome Charlie.  Lot's of here.  Where are you from and to what do you like to listen?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »
Welcome

I also have a DX-5 CD player.... fabulous unit that will compete with the very best. Service on mine has been limited to having all the capacitors replaced and installing new belts. Other than that it's been flawless.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:24:56 PM »
Welcome Charlie! Glad to have ya!!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »
Welcome Charlie!

Lot's of good people here talking audio and sharing experiences!  Our members sometimes have knowledge and information.  We also can be totally useless and sometimes tasteless.  But it's all fun.  Welcome!

What an accurate description of the community Carl.  Try not to be so accurate damn it!

Pepe

Offline Resident

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
Welcome there are quite a few old people here they'd enjoy old stuff I'm one of them.  Hope you enjoy the Forum
Micromega IA-400
Toshiba SD9200 N
Sony PS X75
Mission 775
Jamo D830 Concert 8

Offline CharlieMason

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
Everyone,

I was traveling and hadn't logged back in since my initial post- Wow, Thank you for the warm welcome! Very much appreciated.

My musical tastes are pretty diverse- from classical to heavy metal, with a big emphasis on classic rock (60's 70's), jazz, old school country, etc... I played classical music for about 13 years, and I've worked as a carpenter and cabinet maker - the one thing I am not is an electronics guy. So, I know what sounds good to my ear, but I'm at a loss as to how to search that out from an electronics perspective- which is part of the reason that I stuck with my DBX for so long.

I really love my DBX player, but I need to find a shop or person that I can trust to do a tune up and repair. I have the mechanical skills that  I could probably do some of it myself, but I'm cautious about ding more harm than good.

Again, thank you for the warm welcome.
I hope everyone has a happy, safe, and reflective Memorial Day.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
I played classical music for about 13 years

What is your instrument?   I was an opera major at The Boston Conservatory.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »

My musical tastes are pretty diverse- from classical to heavy metal, with a big emphasis on classic rock (60's 70's), jazz, old school country, etc... I played classical music for about 13 years

Hi again Charlie. My music preferences are similar to yours. I listen to jazz, classical and classic rock. I have a decent collection of classic rock that I bought when it was not yet classic! I don't care much for country. Having played trumpet since 4th grade and never giving it up I studied classical trumpet as an adult. My career was automation engineering. My son BJ (BearJew) has his undergrad degree in audio engineering and his Master's degree in Classical Guitar Performance. All from Duquesne University. His awesome wife Xinlei has her undergrad and master's degree in music composition. They actually met at Duquesne University's graduate school of music. Yep, I'm proud of both of them.

bearjew

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 08:37:15 AM »
My son BJ (BearJew) has his undergrad degree in audio engineering and his Master's degree in Classical Guitar Performance. All from Duquesne University. His awesome wife Xinlei has her undergrad and master's degree in music composition.

Hey hey!

Welcome to the forum! (not sure if I said it already; too lazy to scroll).  As thrifty said, what instrument do you play?

Offline CharlieMason

• FNG !!!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Hello,

I played clarinet -
 I played with  a guitar - lol