The Home Theater Corner > Home Theater Audio

Amazon Fire Stick and Plex for audio streaming

(1/4) > >>

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
My wife has a Prime account so I am thinking of getting a Fire Stick so the boy can watch Nick Jr stuff which is free with Prime. However, I'm thinking maybe there may be something in it for Dad too. So I have a couple questions...

My main PC (the one with all of my audio files) is hooked up by ethernet to my wireless modem (the one from the cable company). Will I be able to stream WAVs, FLACs, MP3s etc. from this wired computer to the stick? How about .ts video files?

Will there be any bitrate conversion inherent in the stream or will it all be native?

Will 4.0 (quad) or 5.1 WAVs/FLACs stream with all channels in tact? Thanks.

bearjew:
you should have no problem streaming anything PCM.  Obviously, DSD is probably a no-go.  Not sure about .ts files, but I feel like that's something that should work.

Nothing should have to convert in theory.  Assuming you're using the optical out on the TV to go into your stereo, it should move quad and 5.1 right through to the surround receiver.  This is all in theory though; I didn't spend a lot of time with any of the Fire TV equipment.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
I'm not running any sound out of the TV.   I have everything in the HDMI inputs of the receiver.   I'm also thinking that if I come across one of the Oppo BDP-103/105 or similar that I would plug the Fire stick into it to take advantage of the upscaling.

Comten:
Firestick will allow for Kodi and TubiTV to name a couple plus Youtube. Haven't tried connecting a Firestick into an HDMI port on my loaner Onkyo AVR. Would be a good experiment.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:

--- Quote from: Comten on January 03, 2018, 08:00:00 AM ---Firestick will allow for Kodi and TubiTV to name a couple plus Youtube. Haven't tried connecting a Firestick into an HDMI port on my loaner Onkyo AVR. Would be a good experiment.

--- End quote ---

If you do, please post the results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version