Author Topic: Amazon Fire Stick and Plex for audio streaming  (Read 665 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
    • View Profile
Amazon Fire Stick and Plex for audio streaming
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:21:55 PM »
My wife has a Prime account so I am thinking of getting a Fire Stick so the boy can watch Nick Jr stuff which is free with Prime. However, I'm thinking maybe there may be something in it for Dad too. So I have a couple questions...

My main PC (the one with all of my audio files) is hooked up by ethernet to my wireless modem (the one from the cable company). Will I be able to stream WAVs, FLACs, MP3s etc. from this wired computer to the stick? How about .ts video files?

Will there be any bitrate conversion inherent in the stream or will it all be native?

Will 4.0 (quad) or 5.1 WAVs/FLACs stream with all channels in tact? Thanks.

Offline bearjew

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Half bear, all Jew
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Fire Stick and Plex for audio streaming
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
you should have no problem streaming anything PCM.  Obviously, DSD is probably a no-go.  Not sure about .ts files, but I feel like that's something that should work.

Nothing should have to convert in theory.  Assuming you're using the optical out on the TV to go into your stereo, it should move quad and 5.1 right through to the surround receiver.  This is all in theory though; I didn't spend a lot of time with any of the Fire TV equipment.
-Audeze EL-8 Titanium headphones
-Everything else is on loan to PBJ!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
I'm not running any sound out of the TV.   I have everything in the HDMI inputs of the receiver.   I'm also thinking that if I come across one of the Oppo BDP-103/105 or similar that I would plug the Fire stick into it to take advantage of the upscaling.

Offline Comten

• FNG !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
Firestick will allow for Kodi and TubiTV to name a couple plus Youtube. Haven't tried connecting a Firestick into an HDMI port on my loaner Onkyo AVR. Would be a good experiment.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »
Firestick will allow for Kodi and TubiTV to name a couple plus Youtube. Haven't tried connecting a Firestick into an HDMI port on my loaner Onkyo AVR. Would be a good experiment.

If you do, please post the results.

Offline Comten

• FNG !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 07:20:09 AM »
Figured that I'd attach the Firestick to the Onkyo as just another HDMI device but discovered that I cannot as the AVR has no USB port - the Firestick uses an attached USB cable to power it...

Otherwise, I could not see why it wouldn't work...

Offline OldiesButGoodies

• Administrator
  • Be nice, it is free!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 07:32:23 AM »
Figured that I'd attach the Firestick to the Onkyo as just another HDMI device but discovered that I cannot as the AVR has no USB port - the Firestick uses an attached USB cable to power it...

Otherwise, I could not see why it wouldn't work...

It would work,  that is how I use it.  Just power it from a USB cube connected to the wall.  They consume very little power,  can be left on.

Spkr:
Pre:
Amps: 
Phono: VPI Aries 1,  Van de Hul Frog
CD:
Cass: Tascam 122MkII
R2R: Revox B77
Sub: Rhythmik FV 15HP

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
I just got set up with Plex and it seems to be sending hi res files natively, but it will only do two channel.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »
Mine came with a wall box.   I tried using the USB on my cable box, but it gave an error that it didn't have enough power.

Namecheap.com
Fight Spam! Click Here!