Author Topic: Connecting 3 amplifiers together 2 vintage and 1 modern  (Read 4656 times)

Offline e21baur

• FNG !!!
Connecting 3 amplifiers together 2 vintage and 1 modern
« on: February 02, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
i want to connect 3 amplifiers together :

ive tried 1amp sending out to  2 amps, 1 become master volume, sound was not right, all this modern menu settings wilderness of pain...

then i tried normal cheap rca cable splitters, real spagetti mess... but all 3 amplifiers getting the "same" signal... giving more life to the old vintage amps... but in lack of remote i need a controller for each amp.

i want separate control to each amp, bass/mid/treble/gain.

question is:

a cheap mixer that splits 1 input out to 3 outputs with separate adjustments?
any recommended ??

how you guys wanna do it when hooking up 3 amplifers ? split the signal ? mixer? 1master 2slaves?

and also.... if sending from optical toslink from pc, to a toslink splitter 1 -) 2, Then 1 toslink to new amplifier, other toslink to toslink to rca converter, Then connect the analog signal to a analog mixer for each amplifier ??

making the main amplifier driving 2 stereo speakers digital and 2 vintage amplifiers for warm vintage sound.

what would you guys do ??

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Re: Connecting 3 amplifiers together 2 vintage and 1 modern
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »
e21baur,

You're blowing my mind with some of these questions. Not complaining at all, I love seeing questions like this that are a bit off the beaten path. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish in this setup. All three amps driving three sets of speakers at the same time? Or being able to switch amp/speaker depending on listening material?

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »
also, would like to know if you are calling receivers amps or are you talking about three amplifiers...  they are not the same thing... please clarify.  thanks
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline e21baur

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »
just need different music setting like i had before, synthesizer jam and ambient chillout is very relaxing with all speakers on low, 2 amps on gaming, 1 amp on high stereo while house cleaning. or i can do whatever what mood im in...

at low or regular volume, relaxing i find more speakers more fun, but higher volume they need to get to 2 or 4.... by using 3 amps i get full control instant like stereo for changing the sound image whatever i want to hear on !!

tried 1 huge amp but thats not vintage, no life, no life at rear channel.

going 3 amp stereo gives most of the speaker i think or have experienced so far.

do anyone do the same, any good boxes to connect this with ?

Offline e21baur

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
yes switch amp/speaker depending on listening material, its perfect !!

and my amps now... is

Philips Rh 720
Tandberg hulda 11

and a newer yamaha rx-740..

if all cables are set up in boxes... i can after a while when im bored of the sound of the tandberg perhaps... then i just change it out. without changing the whole sound image, done terrible mistakes buying 7.1 pioneers new stuff without soul, without vintage backup sound.

also i think playing music from the 70s at a 70s amps with 70s speakers... make magic sound... more comfortably and relaxing !!

Offline e21baur

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 04:37:39 PM »
13.1 system with all speakers connected... but 2+2+2 would be nice so i can change from 4 to 6 channels or perhaps experiment with more speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:56:51 PM »
Why not a better HT pre from Marantz or maybe Outlaw or one of the other boutique brands then run vintage amps with it?

Offline goodguyc

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 08:58:23 AM »
Yes, receivers = amps?

Offline e21baur

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
ive have this to split up signals using shielded cables and use that for wired remote, http://soundstream.com/product/mpq-5xo/ at my chair or couch or wherever i lay around.  as this is from my former car stereo build with 3 amps, no hiss and distorts. 
i use it similar to spl bass contesters, where they stand outside of car, headunit connected with extended wires.

got a older sony str-v6, rotel 2x100, sanusi av9000dsp, thule 2x50w, nads,  every one with their charming details and errors. so this setup i want to change amps quickly or just connect them all but thats another story. seen it in real life and know thats a lot of connections and work.

now my 3 amps are together with only rca`s. tested and worked. now the toslink adapter need to get ordered.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:51:56 PM »
so it's three receivers.... each with their own volume control etc....   that's an interesting set up / concept... will have to noodle on that one for a while....
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...