Author Topic: Speakers  (Read 5030 times)

Offline TH84

• FNG !!!
Speakers
« on: March 26, 2018, 08:24:21 AM »
I need them...I think.

Here's the thing, I have these Mitsubishi SS-1000s.  They are particle board with a crappy veneer, but they actually sound ok (to my untrained ear).  Of the few people that have posted about them, they basically read the same, 'thought they were cheap crap, I actually like them.'

Sound ok or not, I feel like I judge my setup as subpar because of the mass produced crap speakers I'm rolling with at the moment.

I listen to primarily blues and jazz, so really looking for something with great mids and highs.  It seems like a lot of the speakers I'm seeing on CL are rockers with 15" subs, four ways with two subs, etc and not quite lining up with what I'm looking for.  Tried to jump on a set of Infinity 360s, but they sold, so my search continues.

Let me know if you come across something...I'd say my budget is $200-300 cash OR $200 cash + trade (have an extra dual TT, will probably have an extra technics receiver in the next few days too).

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:27:20 AM »
I haven't heard them, but they do look like rack system speakers.   I don't have any mod size to large speakers at the moment, but when the weather breaks I'm hoping to refinish a pair of Philipps studio monitors, if you haven't found anything by then.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:28:50 AM »
will probably have an extra technics receiver in the next few days too).

I have a sweet Onkyo Integra integrated if you are looking to upgrade your amplification.

Offline TH84

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 09:15:46 AM »
I'm switching out my Technics SA-5160 for a Pioneer SX-880, so a little upgrade there already. 

Thinking I'll move incrementally...so from mass trash to each component falling in the $200-400 range, then I'll scale up from there.

I figure its easier to move up once a solid base is established, since I can always sell/trade to offset higher costs along the way.

Offline Comten

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 07:08:04 PM »
If your Mitsu's sound OK to you - that's all that really matters!

I like my big Jap kabukis; had 3 pairs, now down to one pair and some bookshelf Sansuis - they don't make them like that anymore, they're all small and black these days.

Offline TH84

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »
I just picked up some a pair of Bowers & Wilkins DM11s from old British couple, so those should hold me over, I can switch back and forth and experiment. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »
I just picked up some a pair of Bowers & Wilkins DM11s from old British couple, so those should hold me over, I can switch back and forth and experiment.

I had a pair of DM 14s.   Same drivers but two woofers instead of just one.   I loved those speakers.   Best tweeter I ever heard.   I really shouldn't have flipped them, but I needed the cash.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »

BTW, what did those set you back?

Offline TH84

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
only a hundo + had 20 feet of Monster Speaker Cable

liked the sound in their basement, took them home and was really underwhelmed at first, took the covers off, played with their positioning some, was still a little disappointed.

Then I put on a jazz album with some nice symbols and snare action, came through super crisp and clean, heard the song in a new way, put a giant smile on my face.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 02:19:35 PM »
They are old enough that they may benefit from a recap.

Offline TH84

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
Ok, so I think I'm settled on speakers for now - the Mitsu's have been bounced to the basement and replaced with some Advent 6003s

They look nice, sound good, even though I need to source some original woofers to replace the generics he put in about 10 years ago. 

The B&W DM11s & Advent 6003s cost me a total of $210, cabinets are mint, so I think I did ok for a total noob.
Now it's on to upgrade my receiver. 

Offline TH84

• FNG !!!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »
Photo

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »
You're on your way now! Looking good.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
I've never heard the 6003s, but I'm a big fan of the 5002s.