Author Topic: REC/Rotel 311 on/off LED  (Read 2403 times)

Offline JamezDee

• FNG !!!
REC/Rotel 311 on/off LED
« on: April 24, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
Hi all,

I've had a vintage REC 311 amp for a couple of years (also sold under Rotel brand) which I bought off an auction site for about 50 euros.

I'm really happy with the sound I get from this old amp, however he one issue I have had, is that the on/off switch on the amp doesn't work - to turn it off, I have to unplug it (which doesn't seem like the best thing to do).

The light indicating on/off sometimes burns and sometimes doesn't.

Has anyone had any experience of this problem?

(I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and do some soldering, as I think all the components should be human scale, non of this SMT stuff)

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: REC/Rotel 311 on/off LED
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Please take a picture of the power switch from different points. We need to figure out what's the model of the switch 1st.
The other option - call to Galaxy Electronics in Sq. Hill and they can fix the problem.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  If restoring the original function is not critical, you can plug it into a power strip and use the strip as the on-off switch.  Personally, I am fussy and would want the switch fixed
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:51:57 AM »
the schematic seems to call for a double switch, https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/rotel/ra-311.shtml, see page 7.  The part number is indicated as well (see page 11), but none appear for sale on Ebay at this time.

Good luck!

OBG

Offline JamezDee

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 06:00:27 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

I opened the case the other day and it seems that the poles of the on/off switch is are not connected to anything. There is no sign of wiring that has become detached, and the switch works mechanically.

I'm going to test the connection between the poles with a multimeter (I think this should tell me if it's working electronically).

Might there be any logical reason for a previous owner to disconnect the mains switch?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 01:01:38 PM »
If he was getting a loud "thump" on the speakers when turning the unit on due to that double switch's mechanicals maybe he decided to bypass it.  Not sure if that amp incorporated a speaker delay relay,  but you can always add one to deal with that problem.  The first step would be to check the switch to make sure it still works,  then reconnect it and test it with no speaker load but maybe a VOM connected to the outputs (or a scope if you have one handy).  Then move on to disposable speakers (if you do not have any go on Craigslist and do a search for "Bose"  >:D),  to see how bad the thump is if it there...

Regards,

OBG