Audio Discussion > Equipment Reviews

The tweak greek

(1/2) > >>

non-prophet:
I am a big fan of cables, tweaks and isolating.  I have been holding on to a lot of great pieces waiting on a specific speaker cable (YBA diamond) which I recently found.  Now is the time to put it all together. 

The fixtures:

Aloia PST 11.1 preamp
Llano Tech Phoenix CA300 tube/hybrid class A amp
Theta Data Basic CD transport
Entec Number Cruncher DAC
Duntech Black Knights PCL 400 speakers

The "snake oil":

Chang Lightspeed CLS 9600 mkII power conditioner OUT
Millersound Reference speaker cables (the ones JPS Labs sued him over)  OUT
MIT MI330 interconnects IN
Anti-Cable level 2 speaker jumpers OUT
Mod Squad Digital Link cable IN (for now, need to re-terminate a Bybee quantum digital)
3 Versalab wood blocks IN
3 Marigo Labs RMX Reference power cords OUT
Chang Lightspeed Power One power cord IN
MIT Z-cord (original) power cord IN (these are absolutely the best power cord for CDP or Transports and they're cheap)
Silicone tube damper rings OUT

The new and improved "tonic":

Shunyata  HT4 power distribution block
Bybee Power Pro power conditioner
YBA Diamond speaker cables terminated with Furutech bananas
Bybee quantum speaker filters (the heavy granite ones)
Mark Levinson Silver 1 jumpers (homemade by me 99.99% pure silver)
4 Harmonic Tech AC11 power cables
Bybee quantum digital filter cable
Mapleshade tube crowns solid brass tube dampers

The initial results are positive, still waiting on an order to complete some of the cables.  A full review may never come, but I will try.  Feel free to ask questions, I have been doing this for years and know some of the cheapest improvements.  Thanks for looking.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
Power conditioning is NOT snake oil.   Cable risers are snake oil.

Jim Pittsburgh:
yes and yes.........  But that's just my opinion lol

schwarcw:
I had the privilege of hearing Nick's system two Sundays in succession.  Before and after the "tweaks".  First of all Nick's system sounded fantastic without the tweaks.  Big, deep soundstage creating a large image.  His equipment is so quiet so the details are all there in layers.  Not bright or strident at all.  We chilled to some familiar tunes that we had heard at my place some time ago.  I left very impressed!

Nick and I were talking last Friday and he mentioned that he was going to do a wires, power cables, Bybee and other mods Friday night.  I returned Sunday to pick up a remote and I got to hear the "tweak makeover".  I was very pleased to hear an improved image with more air around each of the instruments and vocalists.  We listened to some Melody Gardot, Animals and other tunes.  Noticeable improvement overall.  Still very black but also very lively with the speakers blending into the soundstage.  Getting those big speakers Duntechs to pretty much disappear was impressive.

I have don't know which tweak made the biggest change but it all worked.    The wire management was impressive.  He had a lot going on with power cables, power conditioning, Bybees, Wood Boxes, YBA speaker cables, Levinson jumpers all neatly in the mix.

I also got to listen to vinyl for the first time in his system.  I'm liking all the changes and additions!  I am coming back soon!

Congrats Nick!  You've got one of the best sounding systems in the 'Burgh!

non-prophet:
Thank you, Carl.  I almost feel like I should pay for that review. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version