Author Topic: AppleTV OS12 adds Atmos & Dolby Vision  (Read 5465 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
AppleTV OS12 adds Atmos & Dolby Vision
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
I'm not a super serious home theater guy, I enjoy great sound but don't really keep up with the newest stuff. 90% of my tv time is spent on movies or commercial free series, either Netflix or Fios. Very rarely do I watch BluRay anymore, I don't buy movies and renting them has become a pain with kids.

Friday night I updated the 4K Apple TV to TVos 12. When it finished updating a splash screen appears telling you what's new. I was surprised to see Dolby ATMOS was highlighted. I searched Netflix for ATMOS and the results were slim. I put on Lost in Space and the receiver auto switched to ATMOS and locked out other formats. Within minutes I knew ATMOS is NOT for night time viewing if you have family sleeping! Voice volume is much lower compared to other formats so you turn up the volume to hear them, then BOOOOOOM something collides on screen and the whole room shakes. I'm sure there are better ways to watch movies and stuff, but I'm pretty happy Apple added ATMOS.

As far as Dolby Vision...I can see the screen and it looks good - my eyes just don't care.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: AppleTV OS12 adds Atmos & Dolby Vision
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:48:05 AM »
You probably have to readjust your levels for Atmos.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »
You probably have to readjust your levels for Atmos.

Possibly. The volume change is the same as Straight (no DSP) vs Pure Direct which I never quite evened out. The family will just have to learn to adapt...or just yell louder.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »
Raising the volume in your center should be a pretty straightforward process.   I wouldn't settle for yelling over it.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
I'm not a super serious home theater guy, I enjoy great sound but don't really keep up with the newest stuff. 90% of my tv time is spent on movies or commercial free series, either Netflix or Fios. Very rarely do I watch BluRay anymore, I don't buy movies and renting them has become a pain with kids.

Friday night I updated the 4K Apple TV to TVos 12. When it finished updating a splash screen appears telling you what's new. I was surprised to see Dolby ATMOS was highlighted. I searched Netflix for ATMOS and the results were slim. I put on Lost in Space and the receiver auto switched to ATMOS and locked out other formats. Within minutes I knew ATMOS is NOT for night time viewing if you have family sleeping! Voice volume is much lower compared to other formats so you turn up the volume to hear them, then BOOOOOOM something collides on screen and the whole room shakes. I'm sure there are better ways to watch movies and stuff, but I'm pretty happy Apple added ATMOS.

As far as Dolby Vision...I can see the screen and it looks good - my eyes just don't care.

I am looking forward to trying Atmos audio and 4K/HDR video after installing the Optoma UHD50 projector (cheapest 4K projector with decent reviews I could find), hopefully, this weekend.  The Atmos stuff requires  "god" speakers in the ceiling that I also need to install. It is ok by us (wife too) if the sound is explosive since we no longer have kids in the house  :laugh:.  I bought the Oppo 203 player with this in mind, but it turns out you can get compatible media from Netflix and Amazon too (just need enough bandwidth).