Author Topic: subwoofer with high level inputs (and outputs?) or down firing cabinet  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
I think I'm missing something... not all that unusual lol  But I think your set up would work if the destination of the signal were only to the sub. I need the signal to also go to the  satellite speakers.    Have only tried once that I can recall, using binding posts as links between speakers in the past with OK at best results.  Thanks... Will give it some thought.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
power isn't the issue at all... it's more about the amp having the speaker wire input (not line level) and the high level output speaker wire connections.

It is VERY easy to make a speaker level to line level adapter (2 resistors). In fact it is how I drive my subs. That would allow you to have a lot more sub woofer options. If you'd like I can show you how to do it.

If I'm understanding your suggestion correctly, wouldn't this leave his mains playing full range?   I got the impression that at least part of what he was looking for was to take some bottom end load off the mains so they would play louder with less breakup.   At least that is one of the benefits of a passive crossover system (or really any crossover).

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
All of the sub woofers that I am familiar with only have a low pass filter. If you buy an integrated 2.1 speaker system they would have a built in high pass for the satellites and low pass for the woofer.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
yes and yes....  thanks.   "Vintage" subs from even just a few years ago had high level (speaker) inputs with a high level output that went through a low pass filter.... which allowed the satellites / mains to do their thing above the adjustable level of the low pass filter that the sub takes care of.playing.  Line level inputs take care of this through the receiver. controls... but the zone two on my receiver does not have that option.   The pic below shows what I'm talking about. 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...