General Banter > BBQ and Grilling

Hidden gems - country cooking

<< < (3/3)

Vpgh:

--- Quote from: Sir Thrift-a-Lot on June 01, 2019, 03:11:00 PM ---
I don't know much down that way, but if you are new to Pittsburgh you have to find some homemade pierogi and haluski.   There is probably at least one shop in Washington but honestly your best bet is to find it at a church fund raiser being made by 100 year old women in babushkas.

--- End quote ---
Thank you Mark, that's interesting. Actually, I remember that my Grandma cooked the pierogi and haluski at home- I still have some Polish blood in my arteries. Traditional American road-house style is my point of interest now.

Vpgh:

--- Quote from: scorpio333 on June 02, 2019, 10:56:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: Sir Thrift-a-Lot on June 01, 2019, 03:11:00 PM ---babushkas.

--- End quote ---

Been a long time since I heard that word. Reminds me of pocket books.

--- End quote ---

You might be surprised that word "babushka" means in Eastern Europe the old lady, GrandMa in most cases.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:

--- Quote from: vpgh on June 02, 2019, 12:52:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: scorpio333 on June 02, 2019, 10:56:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: Sir Thrift-a-Lot on June 01, 2019, 03:11:00 PM ---babushkas.

--- End quote ---

Been a long time since I heard that word. Reminds me of pocket books.

--- End quote ---

You might be surprised that word "babushka" means in Eastern Europe the old lady, GrandMa in most cases.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the European word became the American slang for the head covering.   You could say "the babushkas wearing the babushkas."

Jim Pittsburgh:
In my house growing up and that of my Hungarian immigrant grandmother, babushkas were the colorful scarves that old ladies wore in inclement weather and every women wore in church, other than fancy hats, back when women were supposed to keep their heads covered every time they entered the main part of the church where services are held.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version