Audio Discussion > DIY

Preamp design point

<< < (3/3)

Vpgh:
I had tried some phono-stages schematic and finally choose 2 stage solution based on EF86 +6DJ8 tubes. It's not very popular in mass production, however, I found that I like my vintage Scott tube receiver music reproduction - expressive, dynamic. I designed my own PCB for both stages of preamp , ordered those from Chinese FAB (cost saving- 5 times difference with US based FAB!). Toroidal power transformer to minimize magnetic leakage made in NJ, custom solid aluminum  faceplate made in California. Most of the parts were ordered from Mouser Electronics (Texas)  except tubes. 
I had tried to save on new Russian Tung-Sol re-issue with absolutely inacceptable result: sound was noisy and flat. I spent coupe more bucks for high -quality Dale resistors and silver-Mica capacitors in RIAA correction circuit, bought NOS 6267 GE tubes for the 1st stage - now I satisfied with music reproduction.

One of the forum members listening my preamp for couple days in his system and had notes better soundstage .vs. his TOTL vintage solid-state preamp .

Vpgh:
What I like: deep, multi-layers, perfectly defined soundstage with natural voices and real size of music instruments.
What I don't: the level from CD and phono is not the same, remote control is cheap plastic. Wife personally hates bright green LEDs on front panel. I need a kind of fundraising for new indication PCB  ;)

What's the plan: wooden trim on the sides, new remote control (fine wood, like on Italian audio stuff?), order updated indication PCB.

Any suggestions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version