Author Topic: store.udiscovermusic  (Read 5786 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
store.udiscovermusic
« on: August 29, 2019, 03:07:54 PM »
I had a bit of a revelation while surfing last night. I knew about shop.udiscovermusic.com and have never been a customer because I don't trust Universal's US pressings (unless I know for sure that they came from a quality plant). I've been burned too many times.

What I didn't realize until last night is that store.udiscovermusic.com (store as opposed to shop) takes you to their UK site. Even though shipping is a bit pricey "across the pond", their sales are extremely reasonable and they are selling the much higher quality (in my experience anyway) European pressings. I've had a few things from GZ Media and have found them all to be exceptional.

So, back to last night. I saw Counting Crows Recovering the Satellites as part of their 2 for $20 sale. There wasn't a second one that I was interested in so I looked at Counting Crows albums that weren't part of the sale. They had two different August pressings. The 2017 (the match to the sale Recovering pressing) was $20 and the orange vinyl was $35 (IIRC). Anyway, I checked the bar codes and the 2017 Euro pressings are 2x45 releases and said to be wonderful. So I ordered both. Even with high shipping fees the total for both was almost exactly $50, which I still consider a bargain for probably the best non-AP pressings of the two albums.

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: store.udiscovermusic
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 08:39:23 PM »
Sounds interesting. I've received the package from UK today, 8 days for shipping "over the pond" is not bad.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 02:03:30 PM »
Need to check this out. Last time I ordered records from the UK it was a nightmare. Whoever packed the records wrote UPS on the box instead of USPS. Imagine my dismay when the UPS lady said I owed $150 before getting my package. Told her to go pound salt, the stuff in that box wasn't worth $150. Little did I know how common it is for UPS and Fedex to vulture international items and charge a "brokerage" fee. Since then I've had several orders from the EU and no issues.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
Wow.   That would suck.   I've only had two deliveries from the UK and both went without issue.

Of course I'll let everyone know how this turns out.

I'm kind of psyched to be able to tell Universal US to "pound salt".

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »
Need to check this out. Last time I ordered records from the UK it was a nightmare. Whoever packed the records wrote UPS on the box instead of USPS. Imagine my dismay when the UPS lady said I owed $150 before getting my package. Told her to go pound salt, the stuff in that box wasn't worth $150. Little did I know how common it is for UPS and Fedex to vulture international items and charge a "brokerage" fee. Since then I've had several orders from the EU and no issues.

Hope the MRI went well.  My brother was having one done today
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »
We sure have some dyslexic conversations around here.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 01:08:25 AM »
On Friday I got an email saying that my order had been shipped and that I should expect it in 14-20 days!   I figured it would be arriving soon.   So, if you are the impatient type this site may not be for you.   Further updates as they become available.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 12:13:03 PM »
On Friday I got an email saying that my order had been shipped and that I should expect it in 14-20 days!   I figured it would be arriving soon.   So, if you are the impatient type this site may not be for you.   Further updates as they become available.

It took them 2 plus weeks to process the order before shipping? If so, that is definitely not for the impatient!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »

It took them 2 plus weeks to process the order before shipping? If so, that is definitely not for the impatient!

Looks that way.   I was kind of surprised myself.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 06:21:24 PM »
Well, trying to be less dyslexic, I will just say it's a good thing we are all patient on this board.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »
The fact that we seem to be down to about three posts a week helps keep things from becoming too disorderly.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 08:20:16 PM »
We need to keep things in perspective.  It's a hobby, not a living, at least for most of us.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »
Will check it out.m .

Pepe
I had a bit of a revelation while surfing last night. I knew about shop.udiscovermusic.com and have never been a customer because I don't trust Universal's US pressings (unless I know for sure that they came from a quality plant). I've been burned too many times.

What I didn't realize until last night is that store.udiscovermusic.com (store as opposed to shop) takes you to their UK site. Even though shipping is a bit pricey "across the pond", their sales are extremely reasonable and they are selling the much higher quality (in my experience anyway) European pressings. I've had a few things from GZ Media and have found them all to be exceptional.

So, back to last night. I saw Counting Crows Recovering the Satellites as part of their 2 for $20 sale. There wasn't a second one that I was interested in so I looked at Counting Crows albums that weren't part of the sale. They had two different August pressings. The 2017 (the match to the sale Recovering pressing) was $20 and the orange vinyl was $35 (IIRC). Anyway, I checked the bar codes and the 2017 Euro pressings are 2x45 releases and said to be wonderful. So I ordered both. Even with high shipping fees the total for both was almost exactly $50, which I still consider a bargain for probably the best non-AP pressings of the two albums.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 09:22:31 PM »
so shop.udiscovermusic.com is the American ecommerce store and store.udiscovermusic.com is the UK instance?  and an account on one does not work on the other? 

Wow.   That would suck.   I've only had two deliveries from the UK and both went without issue.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »
so shop.udiscovermusic.com is the American ecommerce store and store.udiscovermusic.com is the UK instance?  and an account on one does not work on the other? 

That seems to be the case.   I had to register for the British site.