Author Topic: Geek Meeting?  (Read 12325 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Re: Geek Meeting?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
I'm interested as well

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
I'm up for a meet, love seeing and hearing other's setups. Hate leaving with laundry list of new stuff I want.  :) Like Jim said, more than one meet is cool with me. Hosting one here would be super tricky with the kids and sort of smaller listening space, my wife's office now inhabits a corner of my basement and cuts into seating.

Matt, did you move down from Franklin? Do you still happen the Double Impacts? If so, I'd love to hear them sometime. I love my Lore's, but you know how it is considering moving up the chain.

Offline MATT0404

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »
I'm up for a meet, love seeing and hearing other's setups. Hate leaving with laundry list of new stuff I want.  :) Like Jim said, more than one meet is cool with me. Hosting one here would be super tricky with the kids and sort of smaller listening space, my wife's office now inhabits a corner of my basement and cuts into seating.

Matt, did you move down from Franklin? Do you still happen the Double Impacts? If so, I'd love to hear them sometime. I love my Lore's, but you know how it is considering moving up the chain.
Hey, Sean, glad you're still enjoying those Lores!  We moved to Cranberry from Franklin back in October.  My wife and I both had the opportunity to relocate for business and jumped on the opportunity. 

The Double Impacts were sold a while back.  I enjoyed them, but found I preferred my ADS L2030's in most respects.  Now that I have a BIG room in our new house, I have to say I've been tempted by the Moabs but, even still, not sure whether they'd be a significant step up or a lateral move from the 2030's. 

One thing I loved about the DI's was their immediacy.  Something about that tweeter/mid array allowed them to sound almost horn-like. Just really great speed and dynamics.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »
The MOABs look nice, but out of my range. Well they're pretty much all out of my range, unless I found a 2nd hand pair. Those are hard to come by. I always wonder if a step up will fill the room better, but then again they could be too big for the room and I'm already at the sweet spot. I've seen a few guys mention the bigger models can overpower a room.

Congrats on the move and settling on the ads's.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 01:41:31 AM »

Hey, Sean, glad you're still enjoying those Lores!  We moved to Cranberry from Franklin back in October.  My wife and I both had the opportunity to relocate for business and jumped on the opportunity. 

The Double Impacts were sold a while back.  I enjoyed them, but found I preferred my ADS L2030's in most respects.  Now that I have a BIG room in our new house, I have to say I've been tempted by the Moabs but, even still, not sure whether they'd be a significant step up or a lateral move from the 2030's. 

One thing I loved about the DI's was their immediacy.  Something about that tweeter/mid array allowed them to sound almost horn-like. Just really great speed and dynamics.

If you ever decide to host a get together, I've always wanted to hear a pair of 2030s.   I've only been as far up the ADS food chain as L710s.

Offline MATT0404

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 01:09:15 PM »

If you ever decide to host a get together, I've always wanted to hear a pair of 2030s.   I've only been as far up the ADS food chain as L710s.
I'm game to host a get together.  Still trying to get fully situated here, but making progress.  My family room (with the L2030's) is just about complete.  Just got my turntable back up and running on Saturday.  I should be ready by end of March if anyone is interested. 

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 10:40:43 PM »
I will be there.  I work every day in Cranberry coming from Monroeville.  Easy drive for me!
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 11:30:16 PM »
I will be there.  I work every day in Cranberry coming from Monroeville.  Easy drive for me!

Does that mean you would be wanting a weeknight?   If so, Tuesdays work best for me.   Mondays and Fridays are often do-able.   Wednesdays and Thursdays are nearly impossible for me.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 11:32:42 PM »
Oh, and Matt, what kinds of music do you like?   Any particular favorite artists?   You guys all have systems that trounce mine, but I'm pretty proud of my record collection and always like to bring a couple gems in the host's favored genre to these get togethers.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 06:39:03 AM »
Hey Matt,  I

I'd love to come and hear your setup too.  I will bring my famous buffalo chicken dip!!

thx
Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MATT0404

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 03:44:53 PM »
Sounds good!

Oh, and Matt, what kinds of music do you like?   Any particular favorite artists?   You guys all have systems that trounce mine, but I'm pretty proud of my record collection and always like to bring a couple gems in the host's favored genre to these get togethers.
I mostly listen to newer rock, country, blues, etc, but still love classic rock, jazz, even classical.  Dave Matthews, Chris Stapleton, Chili Peppers, John Mayer, Dire Straits, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bill Evans...and the list goes on and on.  I'm very open to different types of music, so bring what you like!  I'd love to demo some of your reference material so you get the full experience.

Hey Matt,  I

I'd love to come and hear your setup too.  I will bring my famous buffalo chicken dip!!

thx
Mike
Now we're talking!  You're welcome over any time! :D

A few notes:
Weekdays don't work well for me.  I have two younger kids (4 and 6) and by the time we get home from work, school, daycare, etc., there's just enough time in the evenings for dinner, some family time, baths and bed.

That said, how's 3/28 look for everyone?  That's the last Saturday in March.

One last note...my vinyl collection is VERY limited, so if there's something you want to hear, bring it with you!  Also, I wouldn't mind one of you who are more experience with turntable setup to give my turntable a once over.  I stream most of my music and I'm a relative newb when it comes to vinyl/analog.  I'd certainly appreciate your advice!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »
I look forward to a geek meeting and as of right now, am a strong maybe, depending in part on the time.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 08:44:22 PM »
I am not on call 3/28 but am working 9-4:30.   If it's in the evening I would be very happy to attend.   I lucked into an inexpensive Analog Productions press of "The Sky is Crying" and you gave me enough info to pull a few other things that I think you will enjoy as well.   I've got some nice jazz as well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:47:08 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 10:46:57 PM »
Excellent!  Thanks again for hosting.  3/28 works for me.  Preferably, late afternoon or evening.

Mike's chicken dip is poison. 

Carl

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
I've got a poker game on the schedule for that night. If you guys are meeting in the afternoon/early evening I should be able to make it.

Analogue Productions has never let me down, they make great records. I have the Texas Hurricane box set (33rpm version) and it's been worth every penny.

Chicken dip. I want to be embalmed with chicken dip.