Author Topic: Another request for recommendations for smallish 4K AVR please  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Comten

• Double Secret Probation!
Another request for recommendations for smallish 4K AVR please
« on: December 12, 2019, 12:23:05 PM »
Hello all,

Read the brief threads on AVR recommendations, but my request is a bit different... my son just got a new ultra-thin-screen OLED TV and wants a modest AVR. He has no desire to use 5.1 or 7.2 capabilities at this time - literally could just use a soundbar instead, but has no room on the TV stand to set one.

As it is, he wants a compact receiver that can accept an optical input from his TV, using the receiver to drive - maybe - up to 4 speakers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ETA - I added the 4k in the subject line as I have no idea if such a beast exists or is needed for listening purposes from a TV with a 4K picture but optical-out sound.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:25:13 PM by Comten »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Another request for recommendations for smallish 4K AVR please
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »
If he is using the optical out from his TV, he has no need for an AVR.   The switching will all be done from his TV.   Literally any of thousands of stereo receivers will do with you need if you add a $10 optical to RCA analog converter.

I have a small Marantz receiver that I would take $100 for.    I can't remember the model number but it is 35 WPC IIRC and is beautiful.   If he wants small good sound this is just the ticket.   I also have a few different small pairs (including a quad of small JBL bookshelfs) of speakers if there is need.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »
If you have any interest at all I can get you model numbers when I get home.   Just let me know.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 07:18:34 PM »
Sounds like a NR1602? If so, I've had one in use for many years and no issues.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 12:31:23 AM »
Marantz PM 225 (stock photo)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
Been following this thread..... you lost me when you specified optical out. I don't understand why you wouldn't just use HDMI?  Accessories4less.com has lots of options for new inexpensive AV receivers. All of which can of course be used or stereo and or obviously 4 speakers.... or more. Without multiple amps that AVRs have, there is always the problem of the ohm load and weird sound from multi channel audio.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 09:27:20 AM »
Use this $12.50 DAC for Toslink input and analog out. Then you could use any amp you already have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNNSKV0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
Use this $12.50 DAC for Toslink input and analog out. Then you could use any amp you already have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNNSKV0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yep, that's the one I was talking about.   Sold under about a hundred different brand names.   I use one for my bedroom system.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »
I use something similar to connect two of the secondary TVs in my house to vintage stereo receivers.  Everything plugs into the TV (Cable box, disc player, etc) and then optical audio out to the D/A and on to the receiver.  It amazes me that for $10-$15 bucks you get all of the stuff, shipped.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »

Dammit, I spent $3 too much, just got this one yesterday. Amazing they're so cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L61JPQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 06:07:13 PM »

Dammit, I spent $3 too much, just got this one yesterday. Amazing they're so cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L61JPQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That Fiio has a couple indicator lights on the top that the others don't.   Plus I really like the brand since Pepe gave me a Headphone amp/DAC from them.   I think you made the right choice.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »
Using it for the computer in the basement work area. Went with this one for USB power over a unit that requires a wall plug. Works and sounds much better than a rca splitter in the headphone jack.

Offline Comten

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 07:29:12 AM »
Thanks all for the replies and tips!!

I ended up snagging a low-end Denon AVR from the Arkansas Embassy - AVR-X1500H. They had a nicely small Pioneer VSX-S520 that would have fit the bill, but it was twice the price and I dont think it had as many features as the Denon.

They just sprung for one of those ultra-thin OLED TVs and this Denon has enough bells and whistles to support wifi and do the TV justice. They are also streaming music junkies, so they will get use out of the Denon.

He is inheriting my A. Jones Pio towers and the matching bookshelves as he wanted small and thin. He turned down the Ohm Walsh 2s I offered as being too big...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:36:56 AM by Comten »

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 08:19:13 AM »
Good friend of mine has Ohm Walsh 2s, a nice big sound.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »
a nice little set up he now has! well done.    You lost me on your post "Arkansas Embassy"?
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...